Filling a large hole in wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a large hole in an interior wall which is plasterboard. How can I fill this in?

Sponsored Links
depends on size and location if its say a 4inch circular hole you can take a bit of wood about 7 or eight inches long narrow enough to fit through the hole[but aS WIDE AS POSSIBLE ] put a screw in the centre just deep enough to grip
cover the overlap area with no nails holding the screw push the wood through the hole and pull towards you till the wood grips the back of the plasterboard
or if its a bigger hole cut the plasterboard back to the stud and the noggins [the horizontal bits]but check there is some noggins by feelling around with something long and thin first before you hack the board off floor to ceiling

I used the exact technique suggested by big-all recently. I found, however that the "no more nails" stuff kept slipping. In the end i prepared a batton (also about 7" long), predrilled two holes through the batton, then while holding the patch in place (by means of holding the screw in the middle) I screwed the batton to it with some nice long screws. Since the batton is too long to go through the hole, it clamps the patch to the backside of the hole. Next day you simply unscrew the batton, and go for it.

I also happened to have a piece of expanded metal (just hanging about looking for a decent home). So I had sandwiched that between the patch and plasterboard. This made an excelent key for the plaster.

Sponsored Links
aaaaaaa tex mex pink gripfill has more instant grip skins up quicker [no canabis jokes please :LOL: ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back