New Door Lining

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I need to install a new door lining to a masonary wall as the old lining is past it. The original lining has been nailed into the masonary using what looks like floorboard nails.

I'm planning to use frame fixings to fix the new one. But how many fixings should be used per jamb? Do I put one fixing right in the centre of the jamb, then go down another foot and put another in etc. Or do I put 2 fixings in side by side, then go down a foot and out another 2 in etc.

I would assume that you use singular fixings so that the door stop will hide the heads of the fixings. But I can see how 2 fixings would allow me to fine-tune the placement of the jamb.

What is the correct method?

Sponsored Links
i personally put in 2 screws side by side 4 times per jamb.you want put them side by side so you hold both edges of the jamb .drive the screw a couple of mm into the jamb and then fill before decorating.

as chukka says if you only put one in the middle it has a natural tendancy to cup around it. i.e. both unsecured edges warp away from the wall.

ok cheers guys.

Isn't that sometimes a problem when you're only securing to a single skin internal wall and you only have the width of one brick to secure 2 quite chunky frame fixings too? I just forsee each side of the brick coming away when I drill into it...

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back