Sterling 10 Blank Keypad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a Pyronix Sterling 10 alarm system installed at home with sensors for the downstairs rooms, door sensors and a single LCD type keypad. As part of our downstairs hallway renovations, I disconnected the keypad from the system so that the cable linking it to the main alarm could be buried in the wall prior to replastering.

Upon reconnecting the keypad, the display does not light up and none of the buttons work - suggesting there is no power to the keypad! I rewired it exactly as it was previously as I photographed the connections. Also, it was reconnected prior to plastering and did not work then so I highly doubt that the plasterer has nicked the cable with his float.

Any help with this is much appreciated. There is no immediate problem, other than not being able to set the alarm, I just don't really want to pay for an engineer to come out unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
They may well have done, but it would have been after the keypad had been disconnected. Could it have caused a problem at the main panel end of the system?

Incidentally, there is clearly still power getting to the keypad as when I took the front of it off again this afternoon it triggered the tamper switch. I've also checked the cable from the panel to the keypad and it there is continuity.

I also managed to crack the screen of my bloody phone whilst scrabbling around under the stairs to check cabling so all in all not a brilliant day so far!

So you haven't checked correctly then?

your explanaition suggested you disconnected the cable at the keyboard. You say you replaced like for like. So points to +/- touching. Pop.

Sponsored Links
Incidentally, there is clearly still power getting to the keypad as when I took the front of it off again this afternoon it triggered the tamper switch.

The tamper circuit is usually completely separate, so the fact that removing the keypad cover triggered the tamper alarm doesn't mean that power is reaching the unit over the appropriate pair of wires. If you shorted the wires out in disconnecting or reconnecting, then it's quite likely a blown fuse in the control panel.

• Thanks
Reactions: BW2
Incidentally, there is clearly still power getting to the keypad as when I took the front of it off again this afternoon it triggered the tamper switch.

The tamper circuit is usually completely separate, so the fact that removing the keypad cover triggered the tamper alarm doesn't mean that power is reaching the unit over the appropriate pair of wires. If you shorted the wires out in disconnecting or reconnecting, then it's quite likely a blown fuse in the control panel.
A dead certainty I'd say.

OK, thanks for your help. I will check the fuses at the main panel and see if any have blown and replace if so.

Just to clear up any confusion, I disconnected the wires at the keypad end of the run, not at the main panel which remained connected so a short could have happened at some stage.

Once again, thanks for help so far.

I've checked the fuses and one was blown. Replaced blown fused and keypad now working again. I've also managed to reprogram it to allow it to be set without the kitchen so we can still have the alarm on when we're out and shut the cats in the kitchen.

Many thanks to all who helped.

We have a Pyronix Sterling 10 alarm system installed at home with sensors for the downstairs rooms, door sensors and a single LCD type keypad. As part of our downstairs hallway renovations, I disconnected the keypad from the system so that the cable linking it to the main alarm could be buried in the wall prior to replastering.

Upon reconnecting the keypad, the display does not light up and none of the buttons work - suggesting there is no power to the keypad! I rewired it exactly as it was previously as I photographed the connections. Also, it was reconnected prior to plastering and did not work then so I highly doubt that the plasterer has nicked the cable with his float.

Any help with this is much appreciated. There is no immediate problem, other than not being able to set the alarm, I just don't really want to pay for an engineer to come out unless it is absolutely necessary.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back