1930s terrace with no felt. Is it necessary?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We're currently selling our 1930s terrace and the buyers surveyor has picked up that it is not felted. I am under the impression that this is usual for a property of this age. The roof is not leaking so is it really necessary? The buyers are attempting to get us to take £3800 off the price for the work. Thanks for any advice
Emma

Sponsored Links
yes this is common on older houses, as for the surveyor they always pull this up, are they insisting the work gets done in order for the mortgage to be granted or is it just advise to the buyer that it is not felted?.

This is a good question and I'm going to check this tom. Of course the buyer hasn't been specific presumably as they want us to pay for it anyway. Is it common for mortgages not to be granted due to this? And thanks for the reply
Emma

it all depends on the surveyor and which bank he is working for, some will some wont it is very frustrating

Sponsored Links
In any case £3800 is a bit steep unless the roof is particularly large. Don't budge, they are probably just trying it on.

You've never had any problems with the roof leaking, why should they?

We have always lived in old houses and have never had felt. The surveyors have never commented on it. Don't be pushed into a price deduction.

<ahref="http://pearson-roofing.co.uk?index.html">felting a roof should not cost 3800 <a/> try getting a quote to do the work but you shouldnt need to be paying if the roof isnt leaking,[/code]

I bet your house is also "Showing signs of damp" :LOL:

Seriously, surveyors just use about 3 version of a report and print it off.

As for the felt issue, it's not there to prevent leaks anyhow, its a backup, nothing more.

The felt is there to prevent draughts and wind borne crud and also helps prevent water ingress should you lose a tile.

Its origins lie with modern roofing practices whereby the roofer can strip and cover larger areas than before simply because the felt offers immediate protection before having to fix the tiles. I t' olden days only small areas could be stripped and had to be completed before moving on.

In some cases felt can be a curse particularly where loft insulation and condensation is an issue.

So, is felt necessary? No, but roof tiles most certainly are.

You will not convince a surveyor though. :rolleyes:

In t`olden days they had serfs with large umbrellas ..stood in all weathers like Roman Centurions wi `t. shields forming a temporary roof over working area :idea:

FELT is no longer used, but breathable membrane is, they will replace battons and nails too, this will stop any tiles falling off (especially after heavy show this year) £3800 depends on size, but I would not reduce the price more than £1800-2000. Unless its a critical issue that will stop them buying.

As mentioned, its not essential to have this but it is a bonus if tiles start dropping on a regular basis as gthe nails are probably US
Even re-slating with same slates will need 20% new ones in most cases, + scaffold, etc:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back