Part P Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I was wondering if someone would be able to give me advice on the following:

About a year ago I had a 'friend' of a 'friend' do some electrical work for us in a North London Flat. The work pretty much amounted to the following:
The original electrics I think were done around 1990 (black and red wires). He carried out the following work:
Replacement of an old Fusebox, newly wiring some 2 outside lights, creation of two new wall mounted lights in one room and attaching 3-4 new lights in various other rooms to existing fittings. Total cost amounted to around £1000 cash.

However when I asked him to sign off his electrical work he claimed he did not need to as it was not 'new' electrical work as such and only remedial work that a 'friend' carried out for free as such. He also claimed that he could not as he was paid cash in hand, however the signing off issue with cash was not stated in the first instance.

He claimed that it would only need to be signed off if the flat was to be rented (I own) or if I went to sell and the buyer requested it.

Are the claims he made correct?
Do I actually need to get the work Part P Regulation Certified?
Would the fact that the work is not signed off invalidate my Buildings/Contents Insurance?

If I do require the Part P Certificate does anyone have any idea of what this would entail and how much it would cost?

Thanks for any help,
Gareth.

Sponsored Links
The main issue is the board and outside lights, which should have been notified to building controls.
The new board will have deemed all circuits being new regardless of the old wiring.
Do you have contact with the gent who did this work?
It will be an issue when you sell on.

He was a shyster.

Part P requires that all electrical work in dwellings be carried out in a safe manner.

By not notifying work that requires notifying he has committed an offence on your behalf. And he has lied to you about both this and the certification issue. Certificates are issued to certify that work complies with BS 7671, Requirements for Electrical Installations. Although this is not a statutory document it is the normal way by which compliance with statutory requirements is demonstrated.

Sponsored Links
Not often I say this sort of thing, but I'd shop him to the taxman, plus anybody else who might take an interest. If he paid for a PIR and any remedial work identified (which is what you need) then I might be more lenient.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back