Mildew Fulgus in Silicone sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have got fungus growing in the silicone around all my PVC wondow frames.

Whats the best way to get rid of it without removing the silicone?
can I just paint over the top of it?

Any advise greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you tried bleach? I use the thin houseold bleach 22p a litre. make up half water and bleach and apply with a nylon bristle brush, using a scrubbing motion. It usually cleans up quite dramaticly. Or. You can get expensive antimould wash which also has bleach innnit ;)
Sometimes though its grown inside the silicone (cheep stuff) and only remedy might be to cut out and replace.

Emulsion wont take over silicone, even worse on mould ;)
Make sure you clean it then prime the silicone with some white solvent based undercoat. then emulsion will hold on for a while..

you can try allsorts to cover it up, the best way is to remove it and start again, you can buy silicone removal tool which makes the job really easy, and then put mould resistant silicone back on, if this is too much for you, try mould killer, i wouldn`t paint over the silicone it`ll just flake off after a while, and if the mould isn`t killed off will just come through again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back