Vinyl over ceramic floor tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just finished fitting a new kitchen for a client, the floor fitters turn up today to install a new vinyl floor and told them that they cannot install it over the existing ceramic tile floor as joints will show through.
They said they would have put down a 25mm screed first.
The floor tile are solid, no cracks and not that uneven and have been laid very well.
Question
Would it be possible to lay a thin layer of selfleveling compound over ceramic floor tiles.
If so would it have to be 25mm thick as I think the floor is only going to need a thin layer.
Any help gratefully recieved.

Sponsored Links
simple answer - maybe!

it is usual to only use a thin layer of screed 2 - 3mm ...BUT

the thicker layer may be due to a variation in height of the floor level OR

you may have misheard?

Yeah it possible you misheard. A screed can be any thickness but for vinyl installations over old tiles, it's usually a bag product 2-5 mm

I have just finished fitting a new kitchen for a client, the floor fitters turn up today to install a new vinyl floor and told them that they cannot install it over the existing ceramic tile floor as joints will show through.
They said they would have put down a 25mm screed first.
The floor tile are solid, no cracks and not that uneven and have been laid very well.
Question
Would it be possible to lay a thin layer of selfleveling compound over ceramic floor tiles.
If so would it have to be 25mm thick as I think the floor is only going to need a thin layer.
Any help gratefully recieved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back