Ice maker/water dispenser on side by side fridges - mains?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I have just bought a used Samsung rs21dcns side by side freezer after wanting a side by side for years! It has an ice and water dispenser on the front. I always thought that you filled the compartment with water, but apparantly not, it's to be connected to the mains. Here's my problem, hope someone can help!

The layout of my kitchen means it's going to be difficult to connect it to the mains water. For these features to work, do I HAVE to connect it to the mains or can I just pour water into the compartment? If I have to connect the mains water, any idea how big the pipe will be? I don't know if I like the idea of a long washing machine type hose running around my kitchen as I wouldn't be able to disguise it. is it a discreet size like a cable or would it need to be a beast of a hose??

Thank you!
Cremegg x

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo cremegg and welcome :D :D :D

no you cant just pour the water in the container that you can see as thats the ice box lol

it can be done in microbore sized pipe [about 6mm]must be connected to the mains probably cost £50-200 dependant on work involved and who does it

ps how do you feel at being taken over by kraft :rolleyes: ;)

thanks big-all!

oh dear, well sticking the water in that box won't work as well as I'd hoped then will it lol

£50 I can live with...£200...think I'd rather stick a jug of water in the fridge and carry on buying bags of ice from asda! I have a plumber due to come round to sort a shower, so might pounce on him for a quote.

Thanks again for your help and the welcome :D

p.s. Let's just hope that they don't make Cadbury's into US-style choccie, British is much nicer! Mind you, I wouldn't mind them supersizing creme eggs *drool* ;)

perfect just tell the plumber well in advance so the only effort will be physicaly fixing the pipe

is there an easy route the pipe could take like under the units if they have clip on plinths or through a wall if it backs onto a mains water source if so plan the route and measure it so he knows how much pipe he needs
remember its a platic pipe so can twist and turn easily

as long as the dont use dairylea as an egg filling
could you imagine chives and onion flavour :oops:

Sponsored Links
I was thinking that today you know...and I think it would work..the cold line where the washing machine normally goes isn't in use as we have a dishwasher there that only uses the hot...so there is space (if the connections fit onto that type of tipe fitting?) and if I made a hole on the bottom of the cupboard there and ran the piping behind the fascia thingies around the bottom of the kitchen, it could all be hidden. So ugly piping would be ok! I will go to the plumb centre and tap up (excuse the pun) someone there to show me the pipes I'll need and conne cttions, see if I can do this myself.

you're a star, thank you for your help ;)

errr chives n onion creme eggs...mind you, there could be a market for that with pregnant women!

must be mains water not from the tank in the loft if you have one!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back