spur sockets from consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all. I am after a bit of advice.

I am just putting the finishing touches to my basement and I just want to make sure that I am doing the plug sockets correctly.

I have got one 2.5 cable running from the consumer unit and I was going too connect that to a double socket and then connect a 2nd double socket to the first double socket.

Is this correct?

The room is going to be a gym and the only items that will be plugged in is a TV, fan and maybe a stereo and a hoover occasionally!

Thanks very much for your help.

Steve.

Sponsored Links
And what MCB at the CU do you intend to terminate the 2.6mm TE ?

A 30 / 32 amp ring MCB is allowed 1 x spur in 2.5mm to 1 x double socket. Logic being that the max load to the double socket is limited to 26 amp (2 x 13 amp devices).

So you shouldn't have 2 x double sockets because there is a potential over load. I know you have indicated the devices to be plugged in won't over load- but what happens when someone years later decides to run kettles and portable heating from the sockets ??

Best to run the 2.5mm to a fused spur at 13 amp and then have the sockets run off the f/ spur.

Sponsored Links
From the title of the thread I had understood that these sockets would be connected an existing circuit that serves a ring final.?

To do this properly he would need to create a new radial circuit with a 20A cpd protecting it. Then he is into notifiable works.

MO Chri5's FCU solution is the best way to go.

Thanks Taylor.

I am redecorating my basement and I am doing as much work as I can myself, (floating floor, spotlights, plaster boarding etc). Because I did not know how long this would take I asked the electrician who done work for us upstairs to put a wire in place so that I could chase it into the walls and work out where I wanted the plug sockets. I have since plasterboard my ceilings!

So I have 1 2.5 cable running to the consumer unit plugged into it's own switch, so I could cut all power to that room and nowhere else if I wanted to.

I am going to get someone in to do this work for me but will I be ok with the single cable or should I take down my ceilings and run up a second cable so that it can be a ring main?

Thinking about what chri5 said, there is a chance I may have a plug in heater once I get to lazy to have it as a gym!

I asked the electrician who done work for us upstairs to put a wire in place so that I could chase it into the walls and work out where I wanted the plug sockets.
Did he ask you what you wanted to use it for?

So I have 1 2.5 cable running to the consumer unit plugged into it's own switch
What rating?

Yeah, I said it was going to be a gym so I would only really have a tv and stereo down there. I guess I''m pretty naive when it comes to electrics, I thought as long as I had plug sockets down there I could plug anything in! I'm also thinking of getting a running machine so I'm really worried now!

I'm sorry but I don't know the rating without checking.

I'm going to start looking for an electrician now. Do you think I will have to take the ceilings down in order for the electrician to get to the consumer unit?

Thanks for all your help.

I'm sorry but I don't know the rating without checking.
You need to check - we need to know.

I'm going to start looking for an electrician now. Do you think I will have to take the ceilings down in order for the electrician to get to the consumer unit?
To run a cable back to turn it into a ring?

Dunno, but a decent electrician will have all sorts of tricks/techniques/tools for getting cables from A to B without demolition work.

But we don't know yet if that will be necessary.

Thanks very much. I'll check the rating tonight.

It's entirely possible that the guy has supplied you with a direct 'radial' feed from the CU as a dedicated circuit.

If so the 2.5mm cable should be fused on a 20 amp MCB- then the circuit can have as many sockets as you need BUT will be limited to a total load of 230v x 20amp = 4600w

That would cover the electrical requirements for a single area adequately, say you have 2 kw / 2000w heater- you'd still end up with 2600w for appliances.

Thanks Chri5.

How would I know if it is Direct radial feed?

If it is a direct radial feed would it still need to be a fused spur?

Having seen it with the ceilings down I know that it has its own switch on the CU (We had a new CU put in when we moved in 2 years ago).

Do I just pull out that switch from the CU to check the amp?

So far I have learnt that I know less than I thought I knew!

How would I know if it is Direct radial feed?
You're the one telling us it is...
I know that it has its own switch on the CU

We had a new CU put in when we moved in 2 years ago
What does it say about that circuit on the schedule of circuits of the Electrical Installation Certificate?

If it is a direct radial feed would it still need to be a fused spur?
One would sincerely hope not.

What's the rating of the MCB?

Do I just pull out that switch from the CU to check the amp?
No - just open the access cover, unless it's transparent, and look at what it says on it.

So far I have learnt that I know less than I thought I knew!
All learning is good.

Your syntax / language isn't in 'trade' speak :LOL:

When you say switch at CU I'd hope you mean a fuse switch or MCB- mini circuit breaker.

The switch (if it is a fuse in the CU) will have a rating on it- you need to look at this and confirm, if you have any problems then post a picture and we can comment further.

Having done a google image search I can now tell you that it has its own dedicated MCB on the CU so it is a direct radial feed!

Below are two pictures of MCB's Could you please tell me How to work out what amp the MCB is?

Someone once told me that a day where you do not learn anything new is a wasted day! Today is certainly not a wasted day!

Thanks again for all your help!

http://image.made-in-china.com/2f0j00vBFaQczHqTWY/Miniature-Circuit-Breaker-MCB-.jpg

http://www.socketmanufacturers.com/...aker/DZ47-63-1P-Miniature-Circuit-Breaker.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back