Pump causing pipe noise??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a microbore open vent heating system with Ideal Elan RS50 propane boiler. The boiler has 2 thermostat settings (low 60C and high 82C). At low I have no problems. When set to high as the temperature reaches close to cut-off there is a continual banging in the pipes leading from the boiler. My pump has 3 settings, and I have found that if I set this to the fastest setting the banging stops (equally on setting 1 the banging gets louder). However, sometimes even setting 3 results in banging.

In addition the pump sounds noiser than it used to and when the heating switches off, you can occasionally hear gurgling water through the pipes near the pump. All the radiators work and there are no airlocks (only some cold spots at the bottom of 1 or 2 rads which I presume are a bit sludgy).

Any idea what I can do? Does the pump need replacing? If so, should I put a more powerful pump as I know microbore tends to wear them out more (it is a 3 year old Grundflos 15-50). Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I am not a plumber or heating engineer
but as you said
helsdon said:
All the radiators work and there are no airlocks (only some cold spots at the bottom of 1 or 2 rads which I presume are a bit sludgy).
I should say that your system is more than "a bit sludgy" Try flushing the whole system and adding an inhibitor.

The cold spots can't be the problem - they have been there ever since we moved in 2 years ago. The banging pipes and noisy pump have only just started. Besides, I have already flushed these rads out and the water is pretty clean. I think the cold spots are just because the water flow is slow due to the microbore.

Any other possible causes? Or should I flush the whole system?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back