Pump speed ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a Worcester Greenstar 18Ri with a Wilo RS50 pump on an open vented system, the pump as approximately 2 mtrs of head.

I've been advised to keep the pump speed set at 2 to maintain the correct flow rate through the boiler, however with the pump set to 1 it is obviously much quieter and all the radiators still function properly.
I can't seem to find the flow rate required by the boiler or the flow rate produced by the pump at it's three different settings.
Am I safe to run the pump at it's lowest setting or must I keep it on 2?
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I can't seem to find the flow rate required by the boiler or the flow rate produced by the pump at it's three different settings.
The flow rate of a pump is not constant at each speed; it depends on the head (friction of the circuit). Here is an example of a pump curve:

The three black lines are the three speeds. When you set the speed the pump always works along the relevant line. So, if the circuit head is high, the flow rate will be low and vice versa.. Because most pumps are fixed speed, you always have to compromise. Use the lowest speed which gets all rads equally hot.

A properly balanced system will run at a lower speed.

If your boiler keeps cycling (stopping and starting) it could mean that the boiler is giving off to much heat and needs to be down rated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back