CH-pump speed

Reaction score
Country
United States Minor Outlying Islands
My old gas fired boiler has 3 settings, I ran the central heating for 2 hours to observe boiler cycling at lowest pump speed setting; it will fire for 7-8 minutes and when preset temperature setting is reached it will switch burner off for 10 minutes and cycle continues. It consumed 2.1m3 of gas in 2 hours as per utility meter.
I then switched the pump setting to medium and burner will come on for 5.5 minutes and idel time of 11 minutes. The radiators emitted even heat in low pump speed setting, my question is why low pump speed setting consuming more gas? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Thanks. I started the boiler at1615 hours and took reading at1815 hours. The second test ran from 1815 - 1915 hours. I don't know the outside temperature but it must have been colder for second test. When I increased the pump speed to medium setting I also reduced the temperature by 2 degrees; could it have an effect?

Sponsored Links
Surely you need to get the house up to temp and carry out the same test at different speeds to get a true comparison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back