Hope this is not controversial

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have now found me a good RGI and everything seems to be working as it should :D

I have read the thread about "Which Boiler", and considering I have now spent many many many thousands getting my CH going again I was a little perturbed to read that some of you think that modern boilers have a life of 10 years and maybe only 5! (My old Potterton Kingfisher was 23 years old - I loved it - darn BGas for disconnecting it).

Do I start saving now for another boiler in 5-10 years time? :eek:

Val

Sponsored Links
but go for solid fuel or oil or biomass :idea: If you have a utility room for the boiler . . Is your house big-ish . :?:

still dont get this conception that modern boilers have a "lifespan" of as little of 5 years. if parts are available it has an infinite lifespan. only when parts cannot be replaced when they fail does its "lifespan" come into play.

its reliability is the factor to be worried about.

Sponsored Links
Grasp the conception that " The bean counters rule " served by bureaucracy ;)

Its also the dreadful investment aspect

Ball park figures ---- new boiler installed £2000 (if you are lucky)

Saving on gas per year (very questionable) £100

Payback on investment = 20 years

Before this event you will renew the boiler, probably more than once, Thats after you have paid an inordinate amount of pounds sterling in repair bills for these very sophisticated appliances
Then factor in the extra electricity they use

Government announced fuel shortages in ten years time, so consider a move to anything but gas/ electric?? (electric controls on most things mind you)
;)

The few boilers that I have changed that have been around five years old are steamers, where the flue has been **** poorly installed and leaked condensate evreywhere.

Like Nickso says the reliability factor is the main one.Still getting parts for boilers that are 20+ years old.

Graham

:( Oh well - better start filling my piggy bank. This round cost me 5.5K in total. I know that the old cast iron boilers were horrendously inefficient but hey, they just kept on keeping on.

Well as I will possibly be moving in a couple of years I have started to plan my next house:

Solar energy
Wind turbines
Ground heat pumps

Gas boilers - just don't want to know any more after recent experiences.

Val :mad:

[quote="Meme21";p="1499476]

Solar energy
Wind turbines
Ground heat pumps

[/quote]

whee, the next round will be eye watering. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back