Cutting a reversible hearth panel for gas fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone suggest the appropriate tool to cut these reversible hearth panels that are made from laminated plastic. I have used a jigsaw in the past, but that managed to chip off a huge chunk, which I fixed up by using my router. The problem now is that I need to make some delicate cuts that I don't think my router will be able to.

Sponsored Links
I recently cut one using a jig saw with a metal cutting (fine tooth) blade with no chipping out.
I really didnt want any chips or marks so masked up the sheet where I was to cut it and pencil marked the line on the tape. Put a chip board under the sheet and another on top but back far enough for the jigsaw to cut the line, then clamped the lot together to stop any flapping of the sheet.
I found I could cut a real straight cut with the jig saw but had elected before starting to go 1-2mm oversize with the jigsaw.
Once cut I moved the chip under the sheet so both edges mated, clamped up and with a straight edge used the router to final trim the sheet to the line cutting through both the sheet and the edge of the sacrifical chip underneth.
Result was a sheet with a nice edge and no chipping.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back