Do I need a new Consumer Unit?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have a 9 way Consumer Unit that was installed at my home in 1995 which functions with problems.

An electrician has made the comment that this unit does not meet current electrical regulations as it only has an one RCD (on the downstairs/kitchen sockets circuit. The rest are MCB's only).

The proposed work is to replace the existing unit with a 10way Split-Load, High Integrity, Dual RCD/MCB protected CU.

Is it necessary/advisable to have this work carried out?

Sponsored Links
What reasons does he give for wanting to change it?

If he is working on a particular circuit it may be necessary to add an RCD to that circuit. (Easily and cheaply done on your style of board)

Have you got any spare ways on the existing board as it is also easy to add an RCD and convert to '17th edition'. (must have 2 spare ways)

Does sound a little fishy, is he registered, check the LABC competent person list.

Hope this helps

Is it necessary/advisable to have this work carried out?

Necessary - No, not if any work you have done can be accomodated with what you have existing.

Advisable - No, not if any work you have done can be accomodated with what you have existing.

Is replacing a consumer a nice little money maker for electricians if they don't do it properly - Yes

I currently have a 9 way Consumer Unit that was installed at my home in 1995 which functions with problems.
Did you mean to say 'without' problems? Why did you get the electrician in?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your replies. Sorry, I meant to say "without" problems.

I was having an extractor fan replaced so no actual work required on the board itself.

All spare ways on the board have been used.

ELECSA Registered Electrician

Is the extractor in the kitchen, is it spured off the main kitchen ring? If it is it will already be RCD protected and the guy is ripping you off.

Is it a bathroom extractor off the lighting circuit? If it is it will not be RCD protected, could be classed as like for like replacement, however I would fit an RCBO (type of rcd) £35.00 extra so the guy is ripping you off.

Has he said WHY?

Elecsa 0845 6349043 ask them why and confirm your electricians reasons.

I think your being had!

His comment is correct - your installation does not meet the current regulations. But I wouldn't see that as any need to replace it in these circumstances. The regulations are not retrospective.

Thanks again for the replies, much appreciated.

The fan is in the kitchen but is not spurred off the main kitchen ring. When it was installed in 2002, the kitchen fitters spurred it off the garage lighting circuit? I only found this out when the circuit tripped after the existing fan "blew up".

The only reason stated as to why the unit should be replaced is it doesn't meet the "current regulations".

From what has been said so far, I don't think I will be having this work carried out.

How much did he charge to replace the fan, and how much is the proposal for replacement CU?

£68 for the replacement fan including installation of fused switch to isolate the supply (labour only)

£308 for the C.U. (supply and install)

£308 for the C.U. (supply and install)
Well, that's not the sign of a out and out cowboy. I had one want £1k :rolleyes: Still not a requirement though to change it on the information known. Though if he was a decent fellow then I would entertain an argument that it was a sensible thing to do, but I would also entertain an argument that it wasn't needed.

Depends how much spare cash you have, it's more of a luxury item, not a neccessity, I would say. But then you could spend £300 on the mrs valentine this weekend and have nothing to show for it a couple of days later - though some might say that is a neccessity and not a luxury :)

Thanks for the comments.

He has done work for me on a number of occasions and I have been very happy with the results.

He does come across as a very conscientious fellow so the suggestion may have been based with a view to safety,etc. I don't know the real reason because I haven't asked the direct question.

I may just chose to disappoint Mrs Valentine :)

heh heh heh.

Ther'll be trouble!

It's easy to be sympathetic with the electrician. The rules changed recently so that all new wiring in houses effectively has to have RCD protection. You only have to mention on this site you are considering adding a single socket to a house with twenty sockets without RCD protection, and there will be howls of hysteria telling you that this single socket has to be an RCD. Not doing so will mean you cannot sell your house (if it hasn't already burned down) and if somebody gets a shock from a light switch in the house next door you will be up for murder one.

So with these messages coming from The Powers That Be, it's hardly surprising that electricians think they have a duty of care to advise that non fully RCD CU should be replaced.

Now some will use that as a way to charge you for five days labour so they do it on monday and you pay for the rest of their week off. Your chap seems to be charging a rate that some on here would consider giving it away. You could get it cheaper but if its what you want to do and he is a decent type then hardly worth your time making the phone calls and having to hang around for others to turn up and quote.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back