NEFF oven cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just purchased a Neff oven rated at 2.85kw (2850w) Now I assume this could potentially run on a 13A supply (2850w/240v=11.875a) however I dont like the idea of an oven on 13A.
However, my question is the old oven we removed was connected using 6mm T&E (the cable has AEI England BASEC F stamped on the outer sheath), now the instal instructions say the cable should be type H05 VV-F or higher rated.
Can anyone tell me if the cable I have is correct?

Also on a slightly different note NEFF say the earth wire has to be 10mm longer then the others? cant think why this would be.

thanks for reading

Sponsored Links
As apropiate... either change cooker connectorion unit to 13A socket (asusming oven is only appliance on circuit) or fit 13A socket in adajcent cupboard on the 6mm cable... and then fit suitable flex and plugtop of oven

Also on a slightly different note NEFF say the earth wire has to be 10mm longer then the others? cant think why this would be.

That seems to be something thats quite rarely specified these days.... but as any old skool sparks will tell you its so that the earth is the last conductor to pull out if the cable is strained

thanks for the speedy response!!

there is already an oven connection plate behind the oven (when installed) and a 30a dp isolator above the worktop and a separate fuse (30a) in the fusebox for this circuit. Would it not be suitable to reuse the existing setup?

Sorry for the delay, missed this!

Best way is to flex the oven up with suitable flex, put a plug on it and swap the cooker connection point for a single unswitched socket outlet

You shouldn't cable onto the existing setup without fusing down or changing the fuse to something lower than 30A, as an oven which takes 2.85kw will probably not have been designed with a 30A circuit in mind, although you can check the MIs if you wish to confirm this

Sponsored Links

That seems to be something thats quite rarely specified these days.... but as any old skool sparks will tell you its so that the earth is the last conductor to pull out if the cable is strained
I've just bought a new Bosch oven which states the earth wire has to be 10mm longer than the others. I assumed it was simply due to the positioning of the terminals in relation to the cable clamp. You learn something every day :D

Sorry for the delay, missed this!

Best way is to flex the oven up with suitable flex, put a plug on it and swap the cooker connection point for a single unswitched socket outlet

You shouldn't cable onto the existing setup without fusing down or changing the fuse to something lower than 30A, as an oven which takes 2.85kw will probably not have been designed with a 30A circuit in mind, although you can check the MIs if you wish to confirm this

I had not thought of fusing down... I will change the fuse carrier and fuse wire.
thanks for your help

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back