Buderus 800 - 29 regular condensing boiler question...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Would a Buderus 800 - 29 be a suitable replacement for my old Potterton FS Marathon 1000B boiler? The output of the Potterton is 28kw (input 37kw) supplying a regular vented system. I assume that I'd have to remove my existing pump as a pump is an integral part of the Buderus? I propose to do the donkeywork myself & leave the gas & commissioning to a registered plumber. Any advice welcome. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Would a Buderus 800 - 29 be a suitable replacement for my old Potterton FS Marathon 1000B boiler?
Just because your old boiler produced 28kW, that does not mean you should replace it with one the same size.

1. The old boiler may not have been sized correctly (there was a tendency to oversize).

2. Changes may have been made to the house - extensions and improved insulation.

You should use either the Sedbuk Boiler Calculator or the EST online boiler calculator to find out what size boiler you really need.

What makes you choose the Buderus?

Hi D_H
Have the chance to buy this particular model at a good price & believe Buderus are one of the best.
I have 10 (potentially 12 as 2 are always turned off) radiators with 2 bathrooms. Admittedly, the boiler stat is always set low (between 2 & 5) so you could be right with the calcs so I'll measure up & find out. Should this necessarily affect buying this boiler as I thought it would modulate to suit? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Have the chance to buy this particular model at a good price & believe Buderus are one of the best.
That's what some say. There have also been rumours that Buderus are pulling out of the UK.

Have you checked that the installer is familiar with them and that he is happy to let you do the "donkey work"? There is a grey area over what the installer must do. Many installers say that it is their responsibility to hang the boiler, install flue and all gas work.

Do you realize that, if you supply the boiler, the installer has no responsibility if it is faulty or goes wrong?

I have 10 (potentially 12 as 2 are always turned off) radiators with 2 bathrooms. Admittedly, the boiler stat is always set low (between 2 & 5) so you could be right with the calcs so I'll measure up & find out. Should this necessarily affect buying this boiler as I thought it would modulate to suit?
The Buderus website says:

The 800 Range of gas condensing boilers are designed for very large domestic properties. Suitable for use in light commercial installations.

I would not call 12 rads and two bathrooms "very large".

As for modulation, it's true that the boiler will modulate down to produce the correct amount of heat, but the boiler is sized for worst conditions, -1°C outside. The heating requirement is not constant; it varies with the outside temperate. So, if you need 20kW for a temperature of -1°C, you only need 10kW when it is 10°C outside and 0kW when it is 21°C.

If your boiler can only modulate down to 15kW, then for most of the year it will be acting like an non-modulating boiler, i.e in on/off mode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back