Lining Paper - Do I need it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon all. Two questions,

Daughter wants a single wall papered with a very expensive feature wallpaper from Cole and Son. The house is 18 months old, wall in tip top condition with no cracking so should have settled by now.

Although lining the wall is part of the instructions I wonder if this is necessary on a flat well sized wall?

Secondly, is there a propietry 'traditional style, starch based, ready mixed tub paste' out there that is easily available? It's what the makers recomend.

Thanks Boys and Girls.

Sponsored Links
Quite a few of the top manafacturers specify the walls to be lined prior to putting the paper on. Some of the papers are prone to shrinkage and may pull on the joints, the lining paper will help to stop this. As regards the paste, forget the label and use Solvite mixed with a bit of ready mixed adhesive in it. This can be anyones brand. this will be sufficient for putting this paper up.

agree with Robbie uk on that.

great that the walls are in such a perfect condition - you can then use lining paper grade 800. Obviously, the condition of the walls can change without further notice ;) so it's good to have it lined as it will stop any potential/future cracks showing up.

As to adhesives, I can vouch for erfurt easy paste ready mix, and know where to get it :)

Sponsored Links
Okay, Coveryourwall, I will ask the question..........

Where????? :LOL:

TT

Don't forget to cross line the wall, don't hang the lining paper the same as you would the top paper.

Cross lining isn't really necessary anymore as the lining paper is now different widths to the wallpaper. Therefore joins should never match. Not like in your day Lyngarth!!. :p

My day !!!! I'm not that old, well young at heart :D I still tend to cross line as it gives the wallpaper something to put against, cross fibers and all that jazz.

But you could be right it might just be my age, anyway off for my mid afternoon nap now :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back