Cutting holes in metal cabinet?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I have to cut some holes into a metal cabinet housing our on demand gas hot water systems because it doesn't have enough ventilation.

The metal looks like about 2mm galvanised steel.

Will I be OK if I get a cutting disc of some sort and use my angle grinder? I think the grinder is a 4" model. I'd probably have to cut total distances of about 1.5m.

Or is there a better way to go about it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
A neater way would be to use a high speed steel hole saw - available in various diameters. You buy the size you want, and then choose an arbor that fits both that and your drill.
Only go for the fully welded type of holesaw though - these split multi size things are worse than useless.
John :)

Rather than cut lots of small airholes, cut hout a large area & fit a grill on it. a lot easier & it will look better.

I'd intended on cutting straight lines so I could bend the metal sheet over and align it with the exit on the heating unit to make a nearly airtight exhaust path.

I've never cut metal before, am I headed in the right direction for a straight line cut using my angle grinder and a cutting disc? Or do I need different/better tools?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Your angle grinder will be just fine, using a 1mm thick slitting disc.
Drill a hole in each of the corners to make a neat job.

OK I've bought a couple of 1mm cutting disks.

If I am cutting a total distance of maybe 1.5m, will the disk overheat? Should I stop every now and then or are they OK to just keep on going?

The disc won't overheat - there just isn't enough cutting mass for that - so just go gently and try not to twist the disc. They wear down fairly quickly so you may need more than a couple!

Thanks for the info, that was a lot of fun! And I have a hot water system that doesn't suffocate itself after a minute too :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back