Replace ceiling light HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am a novice with electrics. I thought this job would be easy as it is replacing one fitted ceiling light with another, however there is an extra earth wire. Do I need to connect this?

The first pic show the ceiling wires with the existing light fitting.

The second pic shows me holding the new light fitting.

The new light has a seperate earth wire which goes into the single earth box like the original shown in picture 1.

It also has a brown live wire which I can see would go where the existing brown goes into the second multiple junction box.

It has a blue neutral wire which will go where the existing blue goes into the multiple junction box.

There is an earth wire which the original DOES NOT have. What do I do with this wire?

Do I just leave this UNCONNECTED? Please help!

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Is it a metal light fitting, there should be instruction included with the product.
All earth wires should be connected together, so it goes in the earth termninal.
You'll find this cable will be attached to the metal on a metal fitting.

Unfortunatelt I don't have instructions with the light that's why I am posting for help!

You are right , it is a metal light fitting. Please see pic 3.

Does that mean I have to connect the 2 earth wires shown in pic 2 together into the single junction box shown in pic 1?

Even thought the 2 earth wires are seperate cables on the new light?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Does that mean I have to connect the 2 earth wires shown in pic 2 together into the single junction box shown in pic 1? Even thought the 2 earth wires are seperate cables on the new light?
Yes, you do. It looks like one earth may be from the top of the fitting while the other runs through the flex. Either way, connect both earth cables together to the one supplied by your fixed wiring.

Exactly right bongos! Thank you

My existing light is also metal. Why do you think that didn't have a second earth? Was it dangerous as it was?

cheers
Ali

My existing light is also metal. Why do you think that didn't have a second earth? Was it dangerous as it was?
Are they the same fittings? as you can see on your photo, the cable incorporating earth, line and neutral goes to the lamps shade and the second earth is connected to the metal rose.
If the metal chain broke or was disconnected as the link, and was not done as it is, chances are you will loose continuity of the earth. At either point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back