Wiring for boiler timer/thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going install a wirefree room thermostat tomorrow in my house.

The unit consist of a relay switching box that connects to the boiler and the wireless receiver which is mounted in the living area.

Is there a regulation on cable thickness that runs from the boiler board to the relay box?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
The instructions should tell you what to use, but it won't need to be very heavy.

And shouldn't the receiver go next to the boiler, not in the living room?

(Note this is assuming that you don't have the boiler in the lving room.)

HI BAS

Sorry I meant the sender (thermostat) unit in the living area.

The instruction are sparce with regards to the cable size.

I'm thinking of using 0.5 mm but I seem to remember someone telling me that all boiler controls are to be wired in 0.75 due to the mechanical strenght.

It all depends on teh size of the fuse protecting the heating circuitry.

I would use at least 0.75mm².

Personally, I have never used 0.5mm² for anything other than lighting pendant drops.

Sponsored Links
the heating circuit should be on a 3 amp fused spur switch
you should use 1.5 core cable

perhaps he means 1.5mm flex, as due to the 3 amp fuse the cable needs to be able to carry 16 amps :rolleyes: :LOL: .

Go with the 0.75 suggestion,

If the thermostat connects directly to the boiler, they are probably volt free contacts, so even the smallest size cable would be fine.

No need to have anything over 1mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back