could i plug electric oven into socket in garage ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi all, strange question i know, but we are having kitchen ripped out at end of the month & obviously the wife will be without oven for a while...but she asked me that when we take the oven out ( electric ) could it just be plugged in into a socket in the garage so she could at least cook something...the current set up is it is wired into the cooker socket in kitchen...now would that be a stronger electric current to run the cooker or could i do as she suggests ? as you may have guessed i have NO electrical knowledge & do not want to try to plug in oven in the garage in case it is a total no no & i end up blowing something up :)..many thanks in advance for any help....cheers !

Sponsored Links
NO!

Get a Baby Belling or similar mini oven that runs off a 13A plug and a microwave oven.

hi, many thanks for your reply....you say NO! like it is a real warning...could you tell me what would happen if i would have plugged it into garage socket ( so as i can explain to the wife ) thanks once again

Each socket is limited to 13 amps, end of.

So 13 x 230v = approx 3000 watts or 3.0 kw.

The oven will use far more than this and thus any attempt to do as you have suggested will either blow the plug fuse, damage the socket or overload the cabling.

If you really need the oven then ask your sparks (doing the kitchen works) to run a temp cooker feed from the house CU to the garage.

Sponsored Links
many thanks...will definately NOT plug it in now...will also use the microwave & borrow mini oven from daughter...once again thank you ( mind you....the wife probably wont thank you for saving me from being blown up !!! :LOL:

Each socket is limited to 13 amps, end of.

So 13 x 230v = approx 3000 watts or 3.0 kw.

The oven will use far more than this and thus any attempt to do as you have suggested will either blow the plug fuse, damage the socket or overload the cabling.
And here we see a genuine problem caused by (possibly) inaccurate terminology.

An oven is not definitely NO!

An oven will not definitely use far more than 13A.

Many ovens can simply be plugged in.

Worcesterman - do you mean an oven, or do you mean a cooker?

is it a temporary measure?
Can the person operating the cooker be instructed to operate the oven in a manner which will be conducive to the temporary nature of its installation?

I like the 'the wife will be without an oven' bit. Like its hers and hers alone. lol

What I mean by the above is that during the period that it is installed in the garage ( im guessing 2-4 weeks??) Will you be happy with beans on toast/soup and other assorted simple goodies?

I cant see the other half wanting to stand in the garage to knock up a full-on sunday roast, but then again, i don't know if your mrs. would be as happy as you if she has to spend hours in the garage ;)

If you can restrict the use of the cooker to say 1 or 2 rings at the most, it should be ok, assuming that you could get a 13A plug onto the cooker cable (could be awkward) and that the garage sockets and cables are adequately protected for overload. - in this scenario, the worst that would happen is that you will start popping fuses in the plug head

The Baby belling option has got to be the cheapest and easiest choice.
Get a cheap one on ebay

Use it for the few weeks that the kitchen is being replaced, then sell the thing on ebay again. Cost = virtually nothing, and no need to fix up temporary supplies, or have the significant risk of the double oven attached to a plug.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
thanks guys for all the replies...although some say yep ok...others say no...i am erring on the edge of caution & play 100% safe and not plug in the oven.. and the wife can use the microwave & daughters mini oven...but many thanks anyway...at least i know now it was not just a case of plug it in :)

get yourself a slow cook
you dont have to use it as a slow cook they are great assembling stews curries soups
and with a little water in the bottom they will keep carrots peas spuds onion and other veg warm all together whilst you sort out the meat gray and yorkshires ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back