spur from a consumer unit in garage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi... I have a 13amp socket in my garage that's run from a consumer unit (in the garage) as one socket is not eough I was wondering if i coud run a spur from that socket even though there is only one cable coming into it. would appreciate any assistance.

Sponsored Links
What size breaker is protecting the existing circuit in the garage? B16/B20?

If so then simply take 2.5mm² t+e on to as many sockets as you require.

If it is protected by a B32 MCB then you will need to make the new sockets part of the ring when extending with 2.5mm² t+e.

More info. ;)

thanks for quick reply. on the cu in garage it states "not to exceed 45 amps" and the fuse inside is 15amp. hope this makes sence!

Sponsored Links
I will bet there is not an RCD in that garage fuseboard?

If not then is there on protecting the circuit to the garage?

It is important that the old, and the new, sockets have RCD protection.

It is important that the old, and the new, sockets have RCD protection.

Indeed, although as the wiring will almost certainly be clipped direct on the surface of the brick, you can get the required protection by installing RCD socket fronts. Not the most cost effective solution perhaps, but requires no messing with the consumer unit.

with regard to the query about RCD . There is an RCD switch on the main consumer unit ,which covers the garage, in the house. The house is 6 years old.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back