Boiler will not fire

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is an old Radiation (Glow-Worm) Fuelsaver 12 RS which has worked perfectly for many many years (including this morning) but this evening I returned to find the pump running but the radiators cold.

The pilot light was lit but the boiler wasn't firing.

I cycled the electricity. Pressed the green reset button on the O/H stat and re-lit the pilot light but it still doesn't want to fire.

When you turn the thermostat knob from the off position you can hear a 'click' from that area. (But it does this when there is no demand for CH/HW too)

For the pilot light to stay on I believe that must mean that the thermocouple and the O/H stat must be working?

So I believe (from reading this forum) that the most likely candidates are the main thermostat, the solenoid or the Gas Valve?

Is there anything electrical I can check with a multimeter before paying £££'s to have it diagnosed and repaired professionally?

Sponsored Links
There is quite a bit that you can measure.

Voltage on gas valve solenoid. If nothing then check back to see where its gone!

If there is voltage but the gas valve is not opening then you could isolate and measure solenoid resistance. If its o/c then it means a new gas valve fitted by a registered gas engineer.

Tony

There was no voltage on the gas valve solenoid (the two orange wires) so (after switching off the power) I removed the screws that held on the metal enclosure holding the electronics and transformer. Re-wired everything and I now read 24v AC and the boiler fires up. It appears fixed.

Might have been a loose connection.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back