Carport roof supports

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to build a carport supported by our adjacent existing garage wall, with the roof falling to the side. I intend to use 3x3 wooden posts along the outside edge, almost touching the neighbour's (very high) fence, to maximise width. The problem is rain water guttering would need to sit immediately above the top of the posts as there would not be enough room between the posts and the neighbours fence for the gutter. Is there some sort of angled bracket available that would fit onto the wooden posts and support the roof timbers a few inches further in, allowing the gutter to sit very close to the fence and on top of the posts? I intend to use a lightweight polycarb roofing.

Thanks
Sterl

Sponsored Links
:idea: Use side fix rafter gutter brackets. :idea:
Don't allow your gutter to overhang your neighbours property as this will be trespass.

Product_POLYPIPE_HALF_ROUND_GUTTER_112MM_SIDE_RAFTER_BRACKET_RR112-01.JPG

The problem is that the posts will be almost against the boundary as will the gutter, so the guttering would effectively have to sit on top of the post. Then, of course, you can't fix the rafters to the posts because the guttering's in the way. That's why I was thinking of maybe fixing an angled bracket to the top of the post as the rafter support. The post can then be shortened enough to allow a gutter to sit directly above it.

The gutter couldn't possibly overhang into next door because their fence is much higher than the carport would be.

I hope that's a bit clearer.

Thanks

How 'bout some steel channel with 4 holes drilled into the web? Half of it bolts through the post, the other half extends above the post and then the end of the joist sits up against the web and bolted though into the end grain with turbo coach screws.

Lengths need be bout twice depth of joist, and width just enough to get the timber width (50mm) between the flanges.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back