I left the freezer door ajar, now it's not freezing properly

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I got an issue with the my Hover A Class Frost Free Nextra (HCF517A).

It's a fridge freezer, and I managed to let the freezer door ajar overnight :oops: I discovered a bit of leaking the next day (small puddles on the floor) and it's been closed properly for about 24 hours since then, but it's not quite working: it's cold inside and the food is semi hard but not completely frozen. It stopped leaking and the food doesn't seem to be thawing anymore, which i think it's a good thing, but I'm wondering if it's going to go back to normal on its own?

Or should I defrost it manually as a way of restarting the whole thing?

Fridge seems to be working OK. I turned the dial to 5 (the coldest) but I think that dial only controls the temperature in the fridge, and the freezer doesn't seem to have any controls. I'm freaking out a bit :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :oops:

Sponsored Links
I did something similar, and struggled to get it "back to normal". I think it was because of ice build up around the seal, which I couldn't seem to fix by just knocking it off, so I did a full defrost, and it seemed fine after a day when it had reached freezing point again

the compressor will only work when the fridge requires cooling

leave the fridge door ajar for about 2 hours that will bring the freezer temp down assuming the f/f is somwhere warmish[above 15]

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I've unplugged it and trying to defrost it, although I don't see any ice build up? :confused:

When plugging it again the motor starts working and then stops after about 5 seconds... I really thought it was working properly! And the fridge wasn't very cold either... Do you think it's completely b-----ered?

I'll leave it overnight... fingers crossed :eek:

Sponsored Links
if its frost free it may have gone onto defrost mode that will take around 24 hrs

need to thoroughly defrost for a couple of days.
then switch on and all will be good

when a door is left open ice just builds and builds

Hi all,

I got an issue with the my Hover A Class Frost Free Nextra (HCF517A).

It's a fridge freezer, and I managed to let the freezer door ajar overnight :oops: I discovered a bit of leaking the next day (small puddles on the floor) and it's been closed properly for about 24 hours since then, but it's not quite working: it's cold inside and the food is semi hard but not completely frozen. It stopped leaking and the food doesn't seem to be thawing anymore, which i think it's a good thing, but I'm wondering if it's going to go back to normal on its own?

Or should I defrost it manually as a way of restarting the whole thing?

Fridge seems to be working OK. I turned the dial to 5 (the coldest) but I think that dial only controls the temperature in the fridge, and the freezer doesn't seem to have any controls. I'm freaking out a bit :confused:

Thanks in advance for any help :oops:

Take a deep breath, calm down. Frost free systems can ice up, and when this happens, it thaws out. Give it a really good defrosting, then, leave the fridge door OPEN on its coldest for around 3-4 hours. That should do it. Cheap f/fs tend to frost up sometimes, as do all frost free systems. Our 10 year old Fisher and Paykel N388 has a HUGE bar of ice at the bottom right wall, I have a video of it on YouTube. Put in bestbets1 and The Frosty Fisher and Paykel Frosty If you defrost, then all problems go away.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back