electrics into house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all again guys, i just wondered if anyone has pics are diagrams on where and how the cables are run from the grid to the house, where they all connected to! Hope it makes sense

Sponsored Links
Ok will do thanks BAS, its not for anywork am doing just intersted where it goes to underground and so on

Right, drawn a little diagram of how it works. It shows how the power gets from the national grid (the gert big metal pylons) to your house.

substation.jpg

Sponsored Links
Right, drawn a little diagram of how it works. It shows how the power gets from the national grid (the gert big metal pylons) to your house.
Am I right in thinking that in a TN system the neutral is supplied from the distribution substation or does it go further back than that?

With TT is the neutral supplied from the pole mounted transformer?

Am I right in thinking that in a TN system the neutral is supplied from the distribution substation or does it go further back than that?
Yes that's correct, and the neutral is tied to the earth mat of the substation at that point.

Yes, but note that the neutral may not be at true earth potential, hence double pole switching is required for isolation for maintenance.

Yes, but note that the neutral may not be at true earth potential, hence double pole switching is required for isolation for maintenance.
I was aware that the neutral may not be at 'true earth' potential when connected to a pole mounted transformer (TT installs) but why is this? Is the transformer itself not earthed at this point also?

I was aware that the neutral may not be at 'true earth' potential when connected to a pole mounted transformer (TT installs) but why is this? Is the transformer itself not earthed at this point also?

The transformer is earthed on the HV and LV side. However, there could still be a small amount of voltage present in the event of a fault somewhere on the LV network

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back