DIYnot
Local | Network
   DIYnot > Forums
Local | Network
DIYnot Network Local DIYnot Network Local  
  Forum IndexForum Index     RulesRules    HelpHelp     Join FREERegister Free     About CookiesCookies     SearchSearch     LoginLogin 

Removal of chimney breast in a terraced house

Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hesta

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:25 pm Reply with quote

Hi
Advice please on the following.I live in a Victorian terrace and
recently the neighbour on one side had some work done.It appears that the whole of the brick chimney breast in the ground floor room ajoining my dining room was removed.
I am concerned that since the actual removal involved a lot of heavy thumping- sounded like removal of the bricks with a lump hammer,rather than a bolster,that stresses may have been put on my chimney. I could feel the thumping on my side of the wall.
Also, if the whole chimney breast has been removed then will there be additional stress and pull my chimney?I have checked for cracks and so far there are none- but might these appear over time?
Should my neighbour have put in a RSJ to support the remaining chimney breast on the first floor of his house?Is there a building reg I can refer to?
Thanks
Hesta
 Alert Moderators

If you do not want to see this advert, click here to login or if you are new click here to join free.
big-all

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:58 pm Reply with quote

you should have been presented with a party wall agreement to sign before comencement as it a joint wall

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/public/buildingregs/legislation/bregspartywallact/

the works should also comply with buildings regs and be sighned off
The following user says thank you to big-all for this useful post:
Hesta (29 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Static

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:31 am Reply with quote

As said above party wall notices should have been served, you might wanna have a quick chat with a party wall surveyor..

Any chimney removal works are major structural changes.. and could have implications on you if you ever decide to remove your side of the chimney.. if done properly and they have just removed the ground floor portion and supported it with some steels or whatever, then you shouldnt experience any movement.. but take photos to be on the safe side of the uncracked walls and breast.. and if anything does move (cos they did it on the cheap) youll be better armed
The following user says thank you to Static for this useful post:
Hesta (29 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
cornishwizard

from United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:13 am Reply with quote

I would not worry to much if they have not supported it, then it will fall to there side icon_eek.gif
The following user says thank you to cornishwizard for this useful post:
Hesta (29 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
ajrobb

from United Kingdom

United Kingdom

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote

First rule, keep it friendly! Give your neighbour a line about wanting to see what a difference it makes to the rooms as you are considering the same on your side (actually you might like it but a working chimney in the lounge can add thousands to the property value). Find out if he had the work done by a builder ('cos you want to DIY or you might want to use them on your side icon_wink.gif ). If he used a builder, he'll expect you to ask "how much?". Ask how you should finish off the chimney, do you need to bother supporting it? If he is supporting it, try and find out how (so you can do the same icon_wink.gif ). Take a quick photo and post the details here. Don't tell him he did it wrong. Last rule, keep it friendly!

The following comes with a health/wealth warning!

If your neighbour is a total ... and assuming he failed to serve a party wall notice, you probably have the right to see if the work was signed off by a registered builder. If it wasn't then you probably then have the right to demand a structural survey. Under the Party Wall etc Act 1996, your surveyors have a statutory right of entry into his home in order to carry out a survey (this can involve the police). If the surveyor highlights any problems, you have the right to get them fixed. If he did not serve a party wall notice, he has laid himself open to all sorts of actions. (You might need to move afterwards. icon_sad.gif )
The following user says thank you to ajrobb for this useful post:
Hesta (29 Mar 2010)
 Alert Moderators
Search this topic :: View previous topic :: View next topic  
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DIYnot.com Forum Index > Building All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: