White smoke from oil boiler......

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy lads , now understandably there are going to be a good few different options for this question but bear with me. I have a balanced flued outdoor oil boiler with a Riello RDB burner , whilst running it is blowing white smoke , and i mean white smoke. This is not condensate , i haven't had a fill of oil recently (plenty in there , just ruling out incorrect fuel) . Now I'm a gas boiler engineer and have never had the need to meddle with this (other than to clean it) or other oil boiler for that matter before so am a newbie ! However feel confident enough that I should be able to get this going (professional pride and all that) Its fairly clean in there , but will get a new injector for it. just need a few tips on any particular things to look at when i open her up. cheers in advance chaps.

Sponsored Links
I take it is still cold over the water, and the white smoke will probably the flue gasses condensing. Does the flue gas smell strongly of oil? if it does prob needs a good service and flue gas analysed. RDB burners are good apart from photo cell and most standard boilers do there job well.
The other thing it could be is a leak in the heat exchanger but this would give white smoke for a while but then the boiler would start to soot up and flue would look very sooty.

check that theres no water inside the boiler,seen this before where the heat xchanger is leaking inside, boiler comes on and turns it to Steam,think of a steam engine.

Assuming its an open vented system the tie up the ball valve and see if the water level is falling as a result of a leak in the combustion area.

You mentioned it is in an outside area so could this have frozen up and burst something inside the boiler?

Frost protection is very important for boilers mounted outside the thermal envelope of a property.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Cheers for the responses lads , its definately not condensate , not that cold enough for the amount I'm getting out. It is quite an oily smell , but will be opening her up in a couple of days to have a good look. Have not been running it since I first noticed , and am away at the moment. Will be back with an update , cheers

I have opened up the boiler , checked for leaks (pressurized system anyways and no loss of pressure) and all dry. Cleaned it out , which it wasn't that dirty a few bits of light soot on the baffles and a couple of noggins of sulphur (maybe ?) but all in all clean enough. Fired her up and running away grand , no smoke just a bit upon light up. However it is smelly enough from the flue , now I'm leaving it run just to try and burn off any residual soot from me disturbing it , but once again after your advice on possible causes for this. Have a friend coming down to me in a couple of weeks with analyser / temp sensor to measure the flue outputs , but just want to exhaust all options before he arrives. Is it wise to adjust the air damper before flue set up just using my nose as the guide? Cheers in advance lads.

You need a flue gas analyser to set it up properly having first checked the oil pressure with a suitable pressure gauge.

Don't go adjusting anything until you have that available. :rolleyes:

I would have expected the condensation - if that is indeed what it is - to disappear fairly soon after start up - even if your boiler is of the condensing type. Could this suggest a DHW heat exchanger leak, do you think?
As said, don't meddle with the air door until you have a pressure gauge, smoke pump and gas analyser handy.
The louvres on the balanced flue should be pretty clean too - if you can wipe soot away with a finger then there's generally an adjustment issue.
Flue gases tend to smell slightly sweet and damp - and not particularly unpleasant - to my hooter anyway.
We'd be interested to hear what transpires!
John :)

Tipper , burnerman thanks for the response's lads. definately not a leak , pressurized system and no budge on the gauge. At this stage think it just needs fine tuning with the analyser (not in the game anymore and mines out on long term loan!) . as regards the smell , it just doesn't smell right , if you know what I mean. I think we all smelled enough flue products and you just know when its not right , its certainly not sweet anyway! More like its over fuelled , not neat as its working away.

Again it seems to be a given that the nozzle (danfoss .5/60s) if memory serves me , is changed on regularity (more so than a gas boiler), whilst the injector was clean and clear. Is this due to the filter on the back of the nozzle? And could this be affecting the performance? I suppose what I'm getting at would you change the nozzle on every service ?

Nozzles have a sintered copper filter on the back, and it is indeed very fine.
Manufacturers say to change the nozzle yearly, but they would....personally I keep mine for about 2 years, but as they only cost a fiver I keep them in stock. The fine hole at the end and spray grooves must wear a bit.
Also bear in mind the pump has a filter too - below the cover on the side you'll find a fine mesh one. So long as your pump can provide the required pressure it doesn't need changing.
So, there's no leak from the central heating heat exchanger, but could there possibly be a leak from the DHW one somehow?
John :)

Standard cast iron boiler , no dhw h/e. The smoke/vapour has all but disappeared even on start up. Will change the nozzle Possibly saturday and await the cavalry with pump pressure gauge and flue analyzer. Fair play for the help , will post updates as and when . :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back