Small replacement boiler choice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if anybody can help here. My daughter is seeking to replace a 25 year Baxi boiler in her 2-bed, 5 rad, 2nd floor flat. Heating reqirement is only around 6kW plus dhw. She intends to replace with another open vent boiler in the same kitchen location – under the worktop.
Space is therefore limited to about 875 mm vertically.
Can anybody suggest a suitable boiler?
If manufacturers’ instructions regarding clearances are followed few boilers would appear to fit.
n power have quoted for a Glowworm Flexicom which can have a direct rear flue which saves space. Another has suggested a Potterton.

One other thing, the existing radiators are aluminium. Is it still worthwhile to add a Magnaclean?

Thanks for anybody who can advise.

Sponsored Links
Sorry can't help with boiler selection but aluminium rads + copper pipework + (probable) SS heat exchanger = Magnaclean no point!

Make sure you dose it up with a corrosion inhibitor suitable for aluminium.

Thanks Tipper. Well that's what I expected but 2 companies have included Magnacleans in their quotes. I suppose they did not notice that the rads were aluminium - they do look smaller than you would expect - no doubt due to superior conductivity of aluminium over steel.

Now can anybody suggest a small reliable boiler that will fit under a kitchen worktop. Trouble is its not just the fitting but giving access for servicing in the years to come.

Intergas HRE combe 24/18 this boiler can be used as a heat only boiler on either open vent or sealed system. the height is 590mm width 450mm depth 240mm. the total height including the flue elbow and pipe connections is approx 875mm. so you might struggle with pipe work. check with Intergas they will give you correct sizes.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the info. It may do the job. I will try to contact the company for further details.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back