Wylex SwitchFuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a Wylex 60amp Switchfuse and wanted some guidance on how to wire one of these up.

Ive never wired one of these up and slightly confused on how to do it.

Any help would be a great help.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I know that you've only just joined, and that this might not seem as the nicest welcome you could receive, but honestly...

What on earth are you doing with a switchfuse if you know so little about electrical installation work that you don't know how to connect one up?

There was one in garage which I took off before the renovations. And now I purchased a new Wylex one thought I would put than in.

Im moderish with electrics and understand most of it. Its always the first nudge that I need hence why I came, this forum has helped me out in many ways while fixing up the Garage and extension.

Sponsored Links
If you cannot work out where to connect incoming and outgoing L/N/E then you need to get a better basic understanding of electrical circuits before working on them.

Trying to do it on the basis of following instructions along the lines of "insert this wire into that hole" without any actual understanding is unsafe and irresponsible.

Switchfuse is for the Garage electrics.

Before the refurbishment work, there use to be an older Wylex Switchfuse, which then goes into a smaller fuse box for the Garage and side extension.

I have the SWA cable 16mm 3 core which was terminated on the old metal wylex box, and now need to install the new box. Ive terminated the SWA cable with the correct gland just not sure how to wire the rest ;o(

So I wanted to install the new switchfuse with the new 17th edition Wylex fuse box. Fuse box has already been wired and configured. So now need to installed the Switchfuse before I can switch on the electrics

Not sure how I upload pictures here but heres the link:

http://www.alertelectrical.com/Cons...es/Wylex-60a-Metal-Clad-Switchfuse-W160CM.asp

:D :D

Your a funny bloke Ban-All-Sheds BTW which I think sheds are really cool

The problem with this Fuseswitch unless its me, its written L N and E but it does not say input/ Load hence why I wanted to make sure I wire it correctly.

Im assuming the in will be at the top end and the load which will go to the bottom end........

shouldn't your electrician be doing this?
presumably you employed one for the extension?

Switchfuse is for the Garage electrics.
Where?

Before the refurbishment work, there use to be an older Wylex Switchfuse, which then goes into a smaller fuse box for the Garage and side extension.
Why?

I have the SWA cable 16mm 3 core which was terminated on the old metal wylex box, and now need to install the new box.
Where?

So I wanted to install the new switchfuse with the new 17th edition Wylex fuse box. Fuse box has already been wired and configured. So now need to installed the Switchfuse before I can switch on the electrics
Why?

The problem with this Fuseswitch unless its me, its written L N and E but it does not say input/ Load hence why I wanted to make sure I wire it correctly.
Given your knowledge of circuit design, tell us what factors affect which way you connect it.

I thought this would have been quick

With the load aspect:

Im assuming the "In" connections will be at the top end of the fuse and the laod aspect will be at the bottom. That makes sense to me as in the off state of the fuse button, the off maker is placed on the top end and by pressing the button on, pulling it down the current is switched and passed to the load..............

Where? Not to sure what you mean by this, the Switchfuse is in the Garage, from the meter which is inside the house I have a isolater switch after the meter so the two tails go into the isolater switch. From there it then goes into two single pole blocks (i think its called henley)
from there one goes into the main house CU and the other two tails go into the Garage to this Wylex SwitchFuse.

Why? The old box was damaged due to the roof caving in while refurbishment was being carried out, the so called cowboy builders. So this section was then disabled for work to carry on.

oh ffs.. if it's a switch fuse then the feed goes into the switch and the load comes out of the fuses.. same as any other fuseboard..

Thats all I needed to know, now it makes perfect sense

Thanks dude (ColJack)

The problem with these builders are, they think they know it all, no job too small, were bricklayers, plasters, plumbers, tilers and electricians.

You only realise what they can actually do once there on site.

Tazer - this is important:

Are you saying that the tails from your isolator are Henleyed directly to the SWA, and the switchfuse is on the other end of the SWA?

This is wrong worng wrong (and also pointless).

You have no overcurrent protection for the SWA run other than the service cutout (probably 100a).

The whole point of the switchfuse is that it is UPSTREAM of the submain!

The switchfuse should be on your meter board - tails from the Henleys to the switch and the SWA to the fuse.

Im assuming the "In" connections will be at the top end of the fuse and the laod aspect will be at the bottom. That makes sense to me as in the off state of the fuse button, the off maker is placed on the top end and by pressing the button on, pulling it down the current is switched and passed to the load..............
So what would happen if you wired it the other way around?

Where? Not to sure what you mean by this, the Switchfuse is in the Garage, from the meter which is inside the house I have a isolater switch after the meter so the two tails go into the isolater switch. From there it then goes into two single pole blocks (i think its called henley)
from there one goes into the main house CU and the other two tails go into the Garage to this Wylex SwitchFuse.
So what is the point of the switchfuse?

What does it do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back