Bosch Washer Trips Power

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My Bosch washing machine has started to trip the power in my house when switched on, It's now out of action! I have checked for any loose connections in particular earth connections inside the machine and in the plug. The power in the house goes off imediately when the power button is pressed regardless of wash cycle selected.

The initial time this happened the drum began to spin before it stopped and the power went off.

I've checked other appliance in the socket and tried using different sockets too.

Please help!!

Ryan

Sponsored Links
The machine has got an earth fault. You need someone to identify which part has the fault, its more than likely the motor or a heater ;)

The washing machine has just been moved into my new house this is when the problem started, though I had noticed it leaking a little water when in use before. When pointed out to an engineer he said it was to do with water hardness and I should use soda in the wash to cure the problem.

But I've been reading information about circut breakers tripping and seen that water leakage onto heater elements and motors can cause this?

Thanks again

Ryan

You may be able to trace the leak by pouring water direct into the drum with a watering can. Once the leak is cured you may need to leave the machine a couple of days to dry out before it stops tripping. Some Bosch machines have a thin hose near the filter cap that can be used for emergency draining.

Sponsored Links
Your problem seems similar to what I've just experienced.

I've traced it to the heater element. When it first happened the machine didn't trip immediately; I assume it only happened when the heating cycle kicked in. After this it tripped as soon as it was switched on. I assume this was because the control cycle had stopped at this point when the power tripped, meaning that it went straight into heating mode when re-energised.

To prove my theory I disconnected one lead from the heater. Having done this I could switch the machine back on and run it to empty the water.

I ordered a new element through the Bosch website; came within two days - very impressive!

Thanks Kilburnlad that was exactly the circumstance the first time it triped and again. I will try your method of testing and let you know how I get on!

Regards

Ryan

The general method of tracing which part of the appliance is causing the tripping is to disconnect parts such as the heater, the motor or the thermostats and see if it still trips. Its best to take both wires off the heater though for such a check.

I have identified the route of the problem thanks to all of your help, It was the heater elemement of which I'm trying to get hold of a replacement at the moment!!

Many thanks

Ryan

Kilburnlad said:

I've traced it to the heater element. When it first happened the machine didn't trip immediately; I assume it only happened when the heating cycle kicked in. After this it tripped as soon as it was switched on. I assume this was because the control cycle had stopped at this point when the power tripped, meaning that it went straight into heating mode when re-energised.

To prove my theory I disconnected one lead from the heater. Having done this I could switch the machine back on and run it to empty the water.

I ordered a new element through the Bosch website; came within two days - very impressive!

Can you tell me how you removed the heater element fromt he drum does it have a simple flange or does it have a retaining clip inside?

Many thanks

You can remove the nut and push the stud right through into the drum. This will enable you to pull the element part way out and get better access to the rubber grommet. Start at one end of the grommet and gradually prise it out with a screwdriver. Fitting the new heater is a similar technique but its best to just have the nut on a few turns so you don't lose the stud inside the drum. An old worn screwdriver is ideal as it won't cut the new grommet. I've never done one where you had to disturb other fittings other than bits that may need to be swapped from old heater to new after it is removed.

Kilburnlad said:

fido said:
You can remove the nut and push the stud right through into the drum. This will enable you to pull the element part way out and get better access to the rubber grommet. Start at one end of the grommet and gradually prise it out with a screwdriver. Fitting the new heater is a similar technique but its best to just have the nut on a few turns so you don't lose the stud inside the drum. An old worn screwdriver is ideal as it won't cut the new grommet. I've never done one where you had to disturb other fittings other than bits that may need to be swapped from old heater to new after it is removed.

Thanks for all your help however I've replaced the element and found that the fault still occurs. Is there any other possibilities the power trip could be related to bearing in mind the machine works when the water heater is disconected?

I have tried the washer with tjust the thermo disconnected and the machine does work.

Thanks to all for your help

Ryan

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back