Gas fire and gas cooker in same room?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering moving my kitchen to another room in the house. The new room already has a working gas fire fitted and I would like to leave it installed. I am just wondering if is OK to have the gas cooker installed in the same room? Would there be any difficulties with ventilation etc?

Also, as the gas supply pipe is already there for the fire, am I correct in assuming that the installer would just be able to tee off the existing 15mm pipe for the gas fire to supply gas to the cooker?

Sponsored Links
OK, great. Many thanks for your reply. I'll get my tool kit out then.
That's not what Nemesis2 said or advised.

If you move your kitchen, it becomes a new installation & you must provide forced extraction (fan). There are negative pressure problems associated with having an open flue’d gas fire/boiler in the same room as forced extraction. It’s subject to Building Regulations & may even require witnessed spillage tests to ascertain if there is enough draught. You should get advice from a registered Gas Safe engineer who will advise on the installation & suitability of your existing gas supply.

Carbon monoxide is lethal & using the fire with insufficient draught could seriously damage your health.

Thanks Richard

The fire was fitted new just 6 months ago. The new room has a 10ft ceiling, two huge exterior windows and more draughts than a checkers board so I assume there will be enough ventilation for a cooker.

When you say I must provide forced extraction, do you mean for the cooker? And if so, what exactly will I be extracting?

Sponsored Links
Building regulations (Part F) now require forced ventilation in new kitchens, bathrooms, w/c’s & utility rooms to avoid condensation & provide adequate ventilation;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADF_2006.pdf
this can by an externally vented cooker hood @ 30 litres/sec or 60 litres/sec on an external wall elsewhere in the kitchen.

When in operation, fans exert a negative pressure on the room which can affect the natural draught of any fuel burning appliance with an open flue (balanced or sealed are not affected) to the extent where the gasses will not escape & it becomes dangerous. Having windows in the room doesn’t matter, what if they are shut! Neither does the size of the room. The fact that there are more draughts than a checkers board may be in your favour but only a spillage test will determine that & the BI will probably still not be happy as I believe the tests should be conducted on a sealed room; what if you or someone subsequently installs efficient & practically air tight double glazing?

The work involved in moving your kitchen also involves compliance with several other Building Regulations &, possibly, inspections; I advise you should research what your proposing is viable before proceeding & be aware that if you cant produce the necessary BR compliance documentation when you come to sell on, you will have problems.

Thanks again fellas,

Well, reading between the lines, it appears as though I should just go ahead and install my cooker in the room and then pretend the kitchen has been in that room since pre-2000. That should get around those pesky building regs. Seeing as I'll be doing all the work myself there'll be no paper trail should I ever sell the house. And as there'll be no forced extraction for the cooker, it won't affect the gas fire.

Handily, the 15mm pipe for the gas supply to the fire runs straight past the place where I want the cooker so I'll just tee into that to provide the gas supply for the cooker.

It really worries me when I see posts like these I'm sorry to say! people shouldn't be carrying out work like this by themselves but should be getting a RGI in to carry out the work. By the sounds of this you are going to move the cooker yourself and cut into gas pipes and not even consider you may need a bigger gas pipe etc.... Get a professional in to do the work!

Well the cooker was plumbed into a 15mm gas pipe by a Corgi engineer so I can't see why it would need a bigger pipe just because it's going in a different room.

I think you are missing the point, it sounds like you are going to carry out the work by yourself. All I'm trying to say is you should get a RGI in to carry out the work as you are cutting into gas pipes, ventilation to consider and possibly pipe sizing. The RGI's who gave you advice about the ventilation issues' all pretty much said you should get a professional in to do the work.

Well the cooker was plumbed into a 15mm gas pipe by a Corgi engineer so I can't see why it would need a bigger pipe just because it's going in a different room.

The fact that YOU dont know does not mean that its safe to do it.

A gas engineer has been trained in pipe sizing, checking earth bonding and ventilation requirements etc.

Thats why we advise you to call one!

Tony

Thanks, yes I know what you are saying. I just refuse to pay the "money for old rope" Corgi quango rates. They come in and do a job a monkey could do and then charge you 3 times the rate of any other tradesman just because they have an orange shield on their van.

I'd rather do the job myself. As long as there's no leaks, adequate supply and adequate ventialtion it should be fine. Oh, and I must not forget to attach that silly chain that fixes the cooker to the wall just in case that frail old 6 stone lady manages to pull a 200 kilo range cooker over onto herself causing a nasty singe to her victorian nightgown.

I didn't go through years of training and experience to be called a monkey, I'm sure most RGI's will agree with me. You are wrong in what you are doing and saying. I've said what I had to. I'm glad I don't live next door to you that's all I can say. If something happens on your head be it.

I didn't go through years of training and experience to be called a monkey,

I didn't call you a monkey. I was saying that Corgi charge triple the rate for a simple job that a monkey could do (like plugging a flexible rubber hose into a bayonet socket, screwing a chain to the wall and filling a form out)

If something happens on your head be it.

Something WILL happen, I'll be saving about £150, that's what.

I'd rather do the job myself. As long as there's no leaks, adequate supply and adequate ventialtion

How are you going to test that you have an adequate supply?
How are you going to determine whether you have adequate ventilation?
Perhaps you should get a monkey in to do it. :LOL:

I wonder why greengoddess bothered to ask for advice :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back