Leaking Sink - crack in sink itself

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I know this isn't strictly plumbing, but I'm hoping some of you guys will know. Basically, I have a small hole/crack in my sink just next to the metal around the plug hole.

I have uploaded an image of the sink to my album so that you can see the type of sink and the hole/crack if you zoom in. But I don't know if I've embedded the image into this post correctly, sorry. Assuming anyone has time to look/help with this, and you can't see the image just let me know.

Anyway, presumably I can buy something to fill it, but I've no idea what. Any recommendations on a suitable product to use, or any alternative suggestions would be very welcome.

Thanks.
View media item 22424 [/url]

Sponsored Links
If you zoom in, it's about 5 past around the plug hole. I wasn't sure what it was made of myself, which was part of the problem. Metal enameled sounds reasonable though - if you're sure from the photo, I'll take your word for it.

So there's nothing I could use to fill it? Even if the end result didn't look too fantastic?

Thanks for the help so far.

Sponsored Links
That just looks like the enamel is chipped. Is the sink leaking from that place. If so could be the metal has corroded away.

Yeah you're right - it is definitely metalic as I've just tried a magnet, so it must be metal enameled. And yes, it's definitely leaking from there so a chip in the enamel and corroded metal sounds very possible.

As it's such a small hole, is there nothing that would fill it. Solder?

Sorry Virgin lost my connection
Not very optimistic on this one. You should really remove the drain assembly to assess extent of corrosion. It may be possible to rebuild and reform with a Cataloy (resin and hardener) Maybe with fibre glass, then re-assemble,using ample silicone. wouldn't look pretty, but might just work.

You could try solder but you'll probably burn the surrounding area on the sink leaving it looking a mess.

For a quick fix, try silicon sealant. If its just a crack the sealant will do the job. Try the clear stuff, good quality moul resistant. (they all claim this, they all lie)

Thanks for all the replies. Will take a trip to the local diy stores and see which of the above are available. If it all goes wrong, I'll just have to get a new sink - which I probably need anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back