Wiring for a switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom

I've got a portable UV 72W blacklight unit that I use for my work. I need to have a switch with me when I'm up my ladder so I have connected a juction box (as you can see from the photo), now I want to have a cable coming out of the junction box and put a switch on the end (so I can take the switch up the ladder with me.

Can someone please explain how I connect it all up? Also, what is the yellow wire thing that came with the switch?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
That "yellow wire thing" is a neon lamp (to be fitted if you want, but not essential) to show when the switch is on.

The yellow thing is a neon indicator to show where the switch is when the power is off. It is normal for this switch to be used in industrial premises and when the lights are off the person who opens them up can see where the switch is.
From the look of your wiring you will need to remove the brown wire from the junction box that goes to the light, insert into a new position of junction box. Insert the brown of the switch into the old brown position and then the blue from the switch will need to be marked as brown to indicate a switch live. This goes into the new junction box to connect the light. That is assuming that the brown is line and the blue is neutral. Do this with all power off.

The whole thing looks clanky and unsafe.

Those switches and junction boxes are meant to be fixed in place, not dangling/loose/dragged about.

They are reasonably tough, but will not stand up to the knocks they'll get when used as you propose.

Those compression glands will not double as cord grips so you risk the cables pulling out.

The switch will be cumbersome up a ladder and will make the light harder to use with the weight of it on the cord.

You should not have that JB anyway - replace the cord with a longer one.

I've no idea if they are available, but an IP rated in-line or torpedo switch would be the thing you need. Or a light with a built-in switch.

Sponsored Links
The unit is used around residential properties and isn't really knocked about much, the junction box and switch does feel adequate enough for my purpose.

- don't know what you mean when you say I shouldn't have that JB, replace the cord with a longer one?

- thanks for explaining how to connect the switch but your explanation is a bit confusing, any chance of going through it again for me

Thanks.

I mean replace the flex from the light with one long enough to reach the socket.

The unit is used around residential properties and isn't really knocked about much, the junction box and switch does feel adequate enough for my purpose.
See if you can get the manufacturers to agree. If not you'll probably be on dodgy ground with respect to the EAWR.

And why have you got 3 glands in that JB? How do you propose to stop water getting in through the unused one?

thanks for explaining how to connect the switch but your explanation is a bit confusing, any chance of going through it again for me

Thanks.
I mean find a waterproof version of one of these:

76089.jpg

The hole in the junction box is ready for my cable that will have my switch on the end (that I will take up my ladder with me).

I just need to know how to connect the hole thing together.

switch: brown to COM and blue to 1WAY. Dont connect the neon.

In the JB, remove the light's brown and put it in a seperate terminal.

Connect the switch's brown to the supply brown.
Connect the switch's blue to the light's brown.

Isnt there something premade on the market for this?

What are you using the light for?

The hole in the junction box is ready for my cable that will have my switch on the end (that I will take up my ladder with me).
So you're going to climb the ladder carrying a light and a switch, you'll be up there with two cables, with the switch balanced on a rung, or held in your hand, or stuffed in a pocket....?

Sounds like a recipe for a RIDDOR report... :confused:

Steve;

I paint murals on ceilings and walls, I use glow in the dark paint, which means the room has to be completely dark and I need the UV to see. The UV also charges the paints.

There is nothing on the market for this.

ban-all-sheds;

The lamp will be in the corner of the room and doesn't move. I will be up the ladder with the switch. I have to keep turning the lamp off every now again, so this will save me having to climb down the ladder everytime.

Dear god.

I had assumed that your choice of Masterseal accessories meant you were working outdoors!

Fit a nice long cable to the light with a plug on the end, no superfluous junction boxes part way along.

Get a plug-in wireless adapter like this:

AW08204-5369TPS342424.jpg

Tuck the remote into your pocket, and away you go, no risks from cables trailing up the ladder, no extra bulk to coil up and cart around.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back