Slaying of the lead pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to dig them out non-destructively DIY? Some sort of tunnelling device?

I've got two. One is the real main and if it has to stay then it has to stay but if there's a DIY relatively non-destructive way to get rid of it and put in the plastic for the water bods to link up I'd give it a go.

The other onehas to die since it's existence is an insult, it's it's own cheekly little stop tap.

My half-baked idea was to turn the water off, cut the top off, stick something slightly radioactive (like the crap in somke alarms) on the end of semi-flexi wire push it down through the pipe until it got stuck, use a giga counter to locate it and then dig to see if I found the join.

Better ideas not involving expensive cameras or firms are very very welcome

Sponsored Links
All work on water mains has to be done by someone who has qualified on a Water Regulations course.

Tony

All work on water mains has to be done by someone who has qualified on a Water Regulations course.

Tony

Could I tunnel it all out then ask them to come in and plug it in? That should be a lot cheaper right?

Does the branch leading to the secondary stop tap count as a "main"? I would expect it branches after the water boards connection to the property and so therefore would be mine?

All pipes carying mains water are classed as "mains".

If you do all the digging and lay the pipes and get the fittings then its a very simple job and should be quite cheap to get a qualified person to change over from lead to plastic quickly.

BUT do ensure you get a proper receipt with the identification on the registered plumber so that you can prove who did it.

Tony

Sponsored Links

My leaky tap is "mains" and I can't DIY it? Can you limit mains a bit more please as I don't quite get it, or just point me to relevant building regs :D

If you do all the digging and lay the pipes and get the fittings then its a very simple job and should be quite cheap to get a qualified person to change over from lead to plastic quickly.

BUT do ensure you get a proper receipt with the identification on the registered plumber so that you can prove who did it.

Tony
I have just had leak in my lead mains, 3 days ago, cut out old, 3 feet, left all the rest 3feet inside, approx 40 feet to meter outside to be replaced with plastic in future. Tried using leadlock fitting, 2 sizes 1 , too big 2nd too small. Plumber did it using plastic fittings, 9lb down to half inch using 2 fittings.ok. don,t know how long it,s been leaking, noticed water bill high. all under floor.Same as OP want to lay pipe myself and get engineer to coonect.Water board fitted meter to lead 2 years ago, didn,t give me certificate, didn,t even mention lead haven,t even changed leadf rom meter to their stop cock on path, left old 1936 lead in, just cut lead and put meter in situ.wouldn,t say man with shovel was exactly qualified engineer; .no cert off this plumber either, said it was illegal but did it, emergency favour.Regs are getting rather OTT.you won,t be able to change a light bulb soon without regs. Can you hire a mole?need to go under steps etc?

My half-baked idea was to turn the water off, cut the top off, stick something slightly radioactive (like the crap in somke alarms) on the end of semi-flexi wire push it down through the pipe until it got stuck, use a giga counter to locate it and then dig to see if I found the join.

Oh yes, half baked! :LOL:

The lead pipe will shield the radioactivity from the geiger counter so that won't work. :rolleyes:

Also putting radioactive substances down your water main seems more than a little risky to me if not downright dangerous!

Still you'll be able to find the glass of water beside your bed without turning the light on:cool:

Oh yes, half baked! :LOL:

The lead pipe will shield the radioactivity from the geiger counter so that won't work. :rolleyes:

Also putting radioactive substances down your water main seems more than a little risky to me if not downright dangerous!

Still you'll be able to find the glass of water beside your bed without turning the light on:cool:
The water board, with their detection gear, took ages and a hole 3 feet away from actual pipe, hence huge hole, to locate the lead pipe to put meter in situ.It,s only a compression fitting either end, plastic, not exactly rocket science, don,t need a degree. I used to be an engineer working to within Milimeters waterboars have to be spot on.to dig a hole. the OP,s will glow green in the dark, soon see it;

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back