Lead pipe replacement

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Discovered a slow leak to my internal mains water supply and as its a lead I'm looking to replace the whole pipe but looking for advice on the external part. Im in a raised 1930s terrace, so the pipe exits under the floorboards but this is only 20cm deep outside, from there it gradually goes down (have only dug out around 30cm away from the front wall). Its <4m long front garden with a wall, currently just dirt and weeds.

Can I dig the trench myself or should I get someone in for this (I've got no idea where the electrics are, thats my main concern)? I'm a novice DIYer so not really sure what I'm doing - best method/how deep etc

Alternatively any ideas on what cost I could expect to pay someone to trench it? My builder thinks he knows a boring company I can use but I'm worried how much that would cost and not sure of the benefit as my gardens a state already!

Attachments

• IMG_20220323_115159_Original.jpg
    IMG_20220323_115159_Original.jpg
    650.6 KB · Views: 63
Sponsored Links
If you have the time, dig it yourself. Find the stopcock on the street first, make sure it's for your house (turn it off, see if water stops).
Then talk to your water supplier- if they have the same deal as here they'll tell you how deep to dig-900mm probably. Buy enough 25mm MDPE to get from street to house stoptap with some spare, dig trench to your boundary, phone them up, they'll inspect and if ok connect the new pipe at the street.
Dig carefully, a spade will go through lead water pipe no problem. Worth a call to your gas & elec transporters to see if they offer free site survey (to mark where their pipes/cables are).
If they don't and/or you don't want to wait then dig away, just keep your eyes open for services in the trench.EDIT Spade and shovel only, no pickaxes or Mattocks or similar :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back