Vokera Linea 24 - Error Code 03 & replacement venturi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

This is probably a "how long is a piece of string" type question but I'm going to ask it anyway! :rolleyes:

I've got a Vokera Linea 24 combi boiler which is in my old house that I rent out (can't sell the damn thing!). The boiler has been inactive for the last 6-7 weeks due the house being empty. New tenant moved in on saturday, turned on the boiler and was greeted with the 03 error code (fan/flue problem). It had worked fine prior to this as I had used the HW when cleaning the property between tenants.

I had CORGI guy out to it yesterday and he thinks/hopes the problem is blocked venturi probably caused as a result of the boiler not being in regular use for a few weeks. CH appears to be working fine but the boiler cuts out when the HW is turned on. He cleaned the venturi (to no avail) and is going to replace them tomorrow. Incidentally, the HW & CH both worked fine when he had the internal cover open due to the increased air flow but obviously not a safe option to leave it like that!

I've been doing a bit of research online and can't find many good reports on Vokera's - particularly the linea range. My question is how likely is it that replacing the venturi is going to work? Is it a long term solution or am I going to be on first name terms with the boiler engineer for the foreseeable future?! It's at least 10 years old but in the 9 years I've owned the property I've never had any problems with it. The engineer has worried me a bit by hinting if it doesn't work I may need a new boiler. That seems a bit drastic for what appears to be a relatively simple problem?

Anyone else had any experience of this problem? Do I need to start saving?!

Sponsored Links
A venturi assy very rarely needs replacing unless it is damaged.A clean will make it as good as new. Has fan been cleaned and flue checked and heat exch cleaned? in other words has boiler been serviced correctly? 03 can also mean PCB failing.Lots of things a RGI man should check B4 throwing parts at it. Vokera Lineas are no worse than lots of other combi's.Get your man to do a thorough fault find.

Thanks for replying. He serviced the boiler and in his opinion everything else seemed to be fine. He was there for 90mins and seemed to be doing a thorough job. Assuming the replacement venturi don't fix the problem, is it worth paying for a new PCB given that the boiler is 10+ years old? Should I just bite the bullet and fork out to replace the whole thing?

I should probably also mention that there was a lot of rust/corrosion to the LHS of the interior which he believed was due to condensation rather than anything leaking. He thought the heat exchange looked OK and that the boiler was "salvagable" but again, I'm not sure if throwing money at it is a good idea in the long run?

Its not likely to be condensation,but a water leak that has caused rust inside your boiler.If its looking likely to cause perforation of any panels then I would no be spending money on pcb's.From what you described it does sound in poor condition. As the boiler works ok with the front panel loosened off to allow more air flow it has to be related to either flue/fan/air pressure switch or the heat exch fins being restricted.If it turns out to be a PCB expect to pay about £100 plus labour.

Sponsored Links
Thanks again. Guess I will have to see what tomorrow brings. I'm leaning more towards total replacement (despite the horrendous cost) - I can't expect a tenant to put up with an intermittently working boiler. What are your thoughts on a reconditioned PCB as an interim solution?

I'm on a tight budget and I know all the piping is going to need replacing etc. Would it be wise to go with another Vokera? Seems people either love them or hate them.

It might seem like I'm jumping the gun a bit, but I'd liked to be armed with information so I can have a reasonably competent discussion with my CORGI!

did he remove the fan and venturi to clean them? its the only way to do it properly.

He removed the venturi and cleaned them in hot soapy water. Not sure that he did the fan.

Regularly work on all Vokera models. Fan has to be removed to clean the venturi. Have never had to replace one.

Fault as you describe, would appear to be a dirty venturi

90 minutes spent on a Linea is excessive or the guy has never worked on this boiler before.

If he is recommending a venturi change followed by PCB replacement, I think he is fishing.

If I was servicing a neglected Linea, I would have removed the burner, fan and diverter valve, cleaned lubed and replaced these. Then pump up the EV. Boiler would be good as new.

DP - thanks for the info. I am just on my way to meet him so will diplomatically mention what you've suggested! To be fair to him, I trust that he is a decent bloke (he only charged £40 and is supplying the venturi at cost plus another hours labour) and it wasn't him that suggested a new PCB - that is just what I have picked up from reading posts on the same problem. I think you get a feeling for someone's integrity and I'm confident that he's not trying to pull a fast one. I'm just trying to be forearmed with info as I don't have the luxury of time due to it being a tenant living with the problem, not me.

Thanks again to all for your input - been very reassuring. Fingers crossed this will be my last post on the matter!

Bite the bullet and change the boiler. Stick in a Compact/Sabre/Procombi variant B rated 25 HE which will cost you £500 with two years warranty. The pipework will be more or less the same and your man should be able to do the job in a day.

Fair enough trying to repair an old combi (and yours is indeed an old boiler, relatively speaking) if it's in your own house and your prepared for the inconvenience now for the next couple of years but your making money by renting out your house so anything spent improving said house is tax detuctable and certainly cost effective.

All you'll end up doing is throwing money at the current boiler and your tenant will likely move out to somewhere that has a better heating system and landlord :LOL:

Hi Lisakins,

I have the same error with my Vokera Linea... Can you please advise if your CORGI managed to fix it? What did he do?

Many thanks for the advice!

trust me he hasnt cleaned the Venturi it needs to be cleaned with a file not soapy water, you dont need a PCB you need the venturi cleaned properly if you needed a pcb why would it work with the room sealed chamber removed ???????

Hope it's fixed by now or she's had couple of cold winters :)

Good one Denso just noticed it was an old thread hopefully helped out the latest poster though

Sorry to bring up an old thread but here I am, my boiler started to act up before Christmas with error 03 after a few minuets of running normal, at first doing 1 or 2 resets got me through the holiday period but the amount of resets I have to do to keep the boiler going has increased to about 10 or 12, I notice that the boiler needs to be reset until the temperature LED reaches around 60deg & then the boiler will stay running fine all day, am I looking at a dirty venturi or faulty APS?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back