Sticking Valves-Vivaro

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys
I have a 1.9 dti 51 plate vivaro with 180k on the clock.
Yesterday I changed the chunk of metal that holds the cam in place as mine was split and leaking oil. I set the engine to TDC on 1 and clamped everything in place before removing and replacing the carrier. When I restarted the engine, I was getting serious tappet noise, and I've now realised that I have 3 sticking valves that only flick back into place as i manually turn the engine.
Is this likely to be springs or do you think I've managed to seriously damage something?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Are you sure you have the timing correct? The noise could be the valves hitting the head, or if it was turned over with incorrect timing it could have bent them.

Peter

Thanks for the reply, I didnt alter the timing as i didnt actually remove the cambelt as i didnt have to remove the cam...

Sponsored Links
I'm also well confused about this one...but when the valves stick open, just back off the cam carrier bolts to see if they then snap shut.
Distortion of the cam carrier is all I can think of.
John :)

Thanks for all the replies, I've now removed the cam and valves 4, 6 and 7 are stuck open and will only 'snap' shut if I rotate the engine, ie. hit them with the piston!!
I'm commited to removing the head now, hope the damage isnt too great...

Sponsored Links
Back