Concrete repairs to path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Iv had to damage my concrete path / area outside my front door removing a pesky tree root. Iv cracked away some concrete and underneath its just soil.

What do i lay down on the soil before i pour some concrete in and what kind of concrete is required.

I was going to smash up the old concrete and lay down the broken pieces as a foundation and pour in the concrete will this be ok?

Sponsored Links
how thick is the remaining concrete? Ideally you would want to drill a few holes in each side and put some steel bar in there sticking out into your new concrete to stop the new concrete from sinking relative to the old and cracking along the joins.

As for the new concrete a standard 3:2:1 stones sand cement would suffice or if your buying ballast all-in them 5 or 6 to 1.

its only about a foot wide and 5 inchs or so deep.

the concrete already there seems to be only about 5 inchs thick

Sponsored Links
its only about a foot wide and 5 inchs or so deep.

the concrete already there seems to be only about 5 inchs thick
So compact the soil underneath, pour a wet mix of 3x10-6mm gravel, 1 sand and 1 cement. Tamper down, leave to go stiff, then float flat, cover with plastic sheet if needed.
When set overnight, pour water over to soak it, that will help to toughen it up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back