Checking electrics after water leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Background.
Property is a ground floor flat and suffered water damage over a period of time. Eventually got so bad electrics sparked out and water pouring though walls and electrical fittings. Leak located to council owned flat above (eventually) and leak fixed.

My insurance company are now fixing the flat as apparently I couldn't claim from the other property as they were unaware that the leak was there.

Anyway....

They insurance company have sent people round, to fix the paint work, plaster ceilings, check the electric etc.

Builders are non-English speaking, paintwork is stippled with dried paint etc, they have fixed the bathroom light fitting to ceiling with plaster as the screws were not long enough etc.

Really not happy with standard of work but insurance company insist that they stay and finish the work and that I just don't sign it off at the end. I am worried that at the end of it chasing the insurance company to get things fixed will be a nightmare.

So I am looking at where I stand. This is where I would like a bit of advice..........

As most of the work carried out is in the Kitchen and Bathroom does BCO need notifying.? The electrics should have been checked but as far as I am aware no work has been carried out other than repainting and plastering.

If the builders have checked it but said nothing is wrong then would this remove the need to notify the work.

If they are supposed to be checking the circuits then should they be qualified electricians? I can't ask them this as they don't understand English. But could I ask the insurance company for details? Is there anything stopping the building company just giving the information of a qualified electrician but that person never having been to my flat?

It is the electrics that I am worried about as I suppose I can sand and repaint once they have gone. With the electrics it is the not knowing if any damage was caused when the water came through.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
The electrical system should be inspected and tested to identify any damage or defects. This isn't notifiable work.
Replacing sockets, switches or damaged cables isn't notifiable work either.
For water damage, it is unlikely that the cables are damaged. It is fairly likely that light fittings, sockets etc. will need to be replaced.

It is the electrics that I am worried about as I suppose I can sand and repaint once they have gone.
You could do that, but why would you?

If the work isn't up to standard, the insurance company should rectify it.
If you are going to fix it yourself, why did you pay for the insurance?

Very unusual for an insurance company to use substandard workers.

A letter to the manager of the claims department might do the job better than phone calls. Outline your concerns as you have here.

As far as I know, a test and inspect of the electrics isnt notifiable. Nor is straight replacements, if nesecary. Anyone can do it, but they must be insured if doing it for reward.

Flooded electrics must be tested before re-energising.

Where in Gods country are you?

Living in London

I would repaint myself as after having several months without electricity and lighting in part of the flat and having had builders in for 3 weeks causing a nightmare, for the hassle of a day of my own time I could improve the paint work.

The builders website would be funny if they weren't round at mine!

Buildings insurance is run through the buildings service agreement, so I don't get mush choice who it is.

I was hoping that somewhere along the line I can ask the insurance company for proof that the electrics are in order and that a qualified person has undertaken the check. That's where I was hoping BCO needed notifying.

I am also having the boiler replaced at the same time as it needed doing and as the controllers were all cooked. But this is separate to the insurance claim.

Sponsored Links
You should request a Periodic Inspection Report certificate, which should have a full schedule of tests along with the name of the electrician who carried it out.

Good luck with this mate, I understand your frustration here, as crap paintwork is one thing, but faulty electrics is another matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back