Spraying timbers in loft.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a tenement flat and have just recently had a new tile roof completed. The scaffolding is still up as they are also fixing a chimney, about 2 days ago was the first decent rain we've had since the roof was finished and sure enough there was a leak near the skylight. I have just heard that they are coming tomorrow ro spray the timber in the lost. Does the timber need to be dry before this is done? I'm a bit worried as we obviosly will still have damp wood up there.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
if its for woodworm then it shouldn't really matter, but get your roofers back to sort it, how can any decent roofer leave you with leaks, sounds like pretty crap work.

It's not for woodworm, the coucil gave a partial grant for the work to be completed and insisted the roof be sprayed because there had been so many leaks over the last year or so. It seems the roofers didn't take the tiles as close to the skylight as they should have. It's sorted now.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Are the dreaded foam spray don't go anywhere near the stuff, tell the council to naff off.That stuff is the spawn of satan and it and the people selling it should all be burnt in hell.

They had them at the Ideal Home Exhibition this year and they couldn't answered my question :eek: The foam are only spray under the tiles between the roof rafters and if you have a crack or broken tiles just on top of the rafter you will get wet wood as you never know for a long time and eventfully rotted away. Not sure how much they are though, any reason why are you thinking of having one?

If you want to save money you could still use all the best tiles you have and put in the roofing felts but having said that the early roof tiles have a life of approximately 70 to 80 years.
Sorry off topic here.

There are several reasons as Masona says if any water penetrates your primary roof covering it may not get through into your loft, but instead gets trapped beneath the slates and rots the timbers and causes mould also any future repairs will involve losing all the slates or tiles on the roof and not just the damaged ones.
I recently quoted to strip a roof re-felt it and reslate it using as many of the old slates as possible, then the bloke told me it had this foam under it and when I told him we wouldn't be able to save any of the slates and that was going to be nearly another £1000 he nearly cried, anyway we did the job and basically had to smash all the slates off.It was also amazing how damp it was between the slates and the foam mostly from trapped condensation I think and there was a furry mass of mould forming a blanket, which was working its way down from the ridge.
I believe this stuff to also cost just about as much as a strip, re-felt batten and slate using the original slates, anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back