Power for a kitchen extractor fan

G

gcltd

Hi, I need to install a kitchen extractor + chimney.

We live in a bungalow.

Running up the wall beside this is the wiring for the electric socket for the oven (the one where you can switch the power on/off to the oven and from this there is a heavy duty cable powering the oven)

How would you advise powering the extractor? going in to the loft and joining the power cable to the oven? if so, what would you advise using the join?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
You'd be much better connecting it in to the socket circuit. You will need a fused connection unit. Are the cable for the sockets ran through the lost space? At a pinch you could run it from the lighting circuit, but it's much better to go from the socket circuit.

If there really is no other option than to use the cooker circuit, it could be done using a fused connection unit and suitably sized cable to the supply side terminals. However, it's likely that the existing cable to the cooker's isolator will already fill most of the terminal capacity, in which case it may not be possible to come off with an additional cable to feed an FCU.

In any case, you certainly should not just split off the existing cable straight to the fan as you propose. With it being in the kitchen, this is also notifiable work.

Hi, thanks for your help.

So I fit an FCU, cable to it from the sockets for power then a cable to the extractor?

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for your help.

So I fit an FCU, cable to it from the sockets for power then a cable to the extractor?

Thanks again

Yep, that's about the size of it buddy. :)

Make sure everything's dead before you do any work, and if you're chasing cables in to the wall, make sure you run them in the safe zones.

if you're chasing cables in to the wall, make sure you run them in the safe zones.[/quote]

Thanks, I would be fitting the fcu next to the oven - around 12" away, around 12" above the worktop and I planned to chase straight up to the loft for power then back down to connect to the fan? is this classed as safe?

Many Thanks

Will there be a flex outlet for the fan?

Safe zones exist vertically and horizontally from any accessory, so you should be OK to do as you have planned.

PS. You do know how to wire an FCU don't you? (just checking!)

Hi, I have not purchased the extractor yet so I'm not sure - what is a flex outlet?

Also no I have never wired a FCU, but I have just realised that in our existing kitchen that is now stripped out there is one fitted - around 12" from the oven socket - this lights up when switched on (its always off) but we have no idea what this is connected to? possibly another extractor fan that was once fitted by the previous owner which is not installed but they have left the FCU - we have no idea, so I was planning on looking at this and hopfully using it?

Take it off and have a look behind it (with the power off at the main switch on the consumer unit of course!).

If there's nothing connected to the "LOAD" or "OUT" terminals then you're in luck! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back