Re power supply to kitchen appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm refitting our kitchen and including an island which will house a fridge - I've run a cable under the new tiled floor but am stuck on what to put at the island end of the cable for the appliance to connect to - I don't want a socket on the island work top - can I simply put a standard socket under the work top? - my doubt is whether its acceptable to have a set up where you can only 'isolate' the fridge by pulling it out first before switching off at the socket behind.

cheers

Sponsored Links
As long as the appliance isn't built in then yes it's acceptable.
Whether you'd want that as your single point of isolation is up to you.

I've run a cable under the new tiled floor

Oh have you. Directly under the tiles? :confused:

but am stuck on what to put at the island end of the cable for the appliance to connect to

If its just one cable, then I guess this is a spur, and as such you can only have one outlet on it. If you'd extended the ring, you could have had an outlet on the side of the island for a couple of appliances. How cool would that be?

I don't want a socket on the island work top

Well we didnt think your fridge would be on the worktop . . .

can I simply put a standard socket under the work top? - my doubt is whether its acceptable to have a set up where you can only 'isolate' the fridge by pulling it out first before switching off at the socket behind.

Its frowned upon, but a fridge is a very reliable and safe piece of equipment. Its unlikely to require isolation for either emergency of maintenance purposes. The presence of an independant switch will cause more problems!

Sponsored Links
Thanx chaps for taking the time to reply - I think the overall answer to my original question perhaps lies in all of your responses

yes - it is a single cable, but it will be powering only one appliance - (the island isnt big enough for more)

no - the cable isnt directly under the tiles, its sheathed and under the insulation boards which are under the underfloor heating - though great care was taken to route the underfloor heating in such a way that it didnt pass over the cable at any time

yes the fridge will be 'built in' - that's a good point (thanx), and one I didn't consider, so, it looks like the answer is to have an isolation point elsewhere in the kitchen - which is also a good suggestion - thanx again

so..... would it be acceptable to have the isolation switch INSIDE one of the wall units - which, (due to the kitchen layout, which is really unchangeable) are approx 3m away?

the idea of having it inside the wall unit is that I'd prefer not to have the switch on view

thanx again

i'd have a flushed fused connection unit on the side of the island, along with a couple of sockets

One point to note...

there is usually not enough room behind an integrated appliance for even a flushed in socket and plug!

One point to note...

there is usually not enough room behind an integrated appliance for even a flushed in socket and plug!

or a rizla sometimes :eek: crap design.

is there an adjacent cupboard on the island, perhaps you could put the socket in there and feed the fridge cable in.

Mmm, note to self. Put sockets for intergrated appliances behind adjacent unit!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back