Insurance grey area?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Like everyone else's insurance, I guess, I'm entitled to drive other peoples cars with third party risks. Fair enough.
However, I want to take a SORNed car for its MOT. This vehicle is not insured by anyone else.
Can I still drive it legally?
Thanks for reading, and have a good evening.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Just to confirm fmt's comment - vehicle needs to be insured by somebody else (cars owner) to allow you to drive it on your insurance.
Could you get garage to pick it up, so they can drive it on their traders insurance?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your comments, everyone - its confirmed what I thought.
I'll ask my insurers for a days cover once the car is ready.
I'm prepared for the howls of laughter, but its a wee car I'm sorting for my niece...its a Citroen AX, N reg, 1.1 injection, 40k genuine miles, one owner. Still on the original tyres!
It cost me £7.95 (price of a steak and ale pie with chips at the local watering hole). Delivery was somewhat more expensive at £8.95 (chicken, brie and bacon + chips).
This is life on the edge.....

Where does it actually say that you can't drive an uninsured car on your insurance?

Peter

I'm not sure, Peter...my policy just says that I can drive another vehicle, not belonging to me but with the owners permission - with third party risks.
Something in my water tells me that the driven vehicle has to be insured by its owner, though. (Thats not me - the log book is registered to someone else, until I sort the car and pass it on).

Hi John

I have wondered about this since watching a 'Road wars' episode where a policeman actually said it, but I have never heard another one do so.

I would have thought, insurance companys being what they are, that it would have said so on the insurance certificate - but it doesn't.

Will have to do some research.

Peter

i saw that program where the police man said the insurance is connected to the vehicle
heres an excert from https://www.askthe.police.uk

Q533: Can my car be driven by my friend if he has a fully comprehensive policy that allows him to drive other cars if my car is not insured at all?

It is always best in these circumstances to talk with your friend's Insurance company as these are the people he/she has entered into a contract with.

Most companies specify what you can or cannot do. If it states on the insurance that it allows your friend to drive someone else's car then he/she would be covered. However he/she must read the full wording of the policy document and the actual certificate to ensure that this is exactly what it does say.

There are a number of pitfalls with this situation (for example, the level of cover may only be third party) and the importance of disclosing the potential risk to your insurers as part of your contractual liability cannot be stressed enough.

I've always understood that the car has to be insured by it's owner, then you can drive it and your own insurance policy gives you Third Party cover to drive it. You might not be able to get even a days insurance for someone else's car. I also understand that you can't insure someone else's property, so you might not be able get a days cover as you have no interest in the vehicle.

i have 2 policys one says the borrowed car has to be insured, the other doesn't, i've been pulled over by an anpr check showing the car as uninsured, i had my cert in the car, it was checked and i was on my way, they advised having the car insured would prevent being pulled over but it was perfectly legal to drive it on the any cars section of my policy.

also to add more confusion

the owner
the driver
the registered keeper

can be 3 different people

i can have a car registered in my name, sell it to my mum for £1 making her the owner, then with the owners permission i can drive the car 3rd party, while still being the registered keeper,

so when the police pull you over and ask "your car sir" you can answer "no but i'm the registered keeper"

also more... this will all be sorted out soon with new rules meaning all cars have to be insured, or sorned in the same way as tax, so every car will have to have at the minimum 3rd party cover if it's not sorned

John - thoughts in your water are right - lol

You really do live life on the edge - lol

Your buying skills seem to be as imppresive - as is your knowledge with cars - only two lunches - you might want to apply for next year to be Lord Alans apprentice? :D

Are you already in process of putting car into your nieces name - does she know it's coming to her? Because obviously you intend to make it roadworthy for her, rather than doing it through you then her?

TonyV

also to add more confusion

the owner
the driver
the registered keeper

can be 3 different people

i can have a car registered in my name, sell it to my mum for £1 making her the owner, then with the owners permission i can drive the car 3rd party, while still being the registered keeper,

so when the police pull you over and ask "your car sir" you can answer "no but i'm the registered keeper"

StevNova - Your Mum will become owner - so she will have it insured in her name - then you can drive on her insurance as a named driver on her policy - or on your own as third party

TonyV

Sponsored Links
Back