electric shower security

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
does an electric shower have any special security so in case there is any complication there will be no possibility whatsoever that the water will conduct the electricity, thus resulting in a life threat for the person taking a shower?
is this garanteed by the earth cable only, or can anybody maybe tell me how this works??
i would be very thankful about information on this topic
thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Yep an RCD, also they trip far faster than a fuse does when measured in ms.

rcd is not meant to replace a fuse, i suggest that you are thinking of MCB

Sponsored Links
You can use an RCBO, a breaker with the RCD built right in. I remember designing the PCB for one of these things for MK about 17 years ago. It was a b****y tight fit!

breezer said:

Not at all smart arse - im thinking in terms of an earth fault the rcd would trip out faster than a fuse would blow.

And yes thx Im fully aware an RCD does not replace an MCB, thx for reminding me though.

Screwi said:
breezer said:

Not at all smart a**e - im thinking in terms of an earth fault the rcd would trip out faster than a fuse would blow.

And yes thx Im fully aware an RCD does not replace an MCB, thx for reminding me though.

you werent very clear about that in your first post

andrew2022 said:
Screwi said:
breezer said:

Not at all smart a**e - im thinking in terms of an earth fault the rcd would trip out faster than a fuse would blow.

you werent very clear about that in your first post

I didnt think I would have to nurse a fully qualified spark along, I took it for granted you would know I was talking about an earth fault as that was what the original posters problem or issue was about - i.e. he was concerned that live would touch a pipe or the heater cylinder in the shower and make the water spray live out the shower head - and as you are all aware as I dont need to teach my grandma to suck eggs, and RCD would break the circuit before a fuse would have time blow in a condition as above, and even this small amount of time would save a life.

Is that comprehensive enough for you?

But yes your quite right a punter might miss-interpret this - so just to spell it out an MCB of suitable rating should be used in conjunction with an RCD.

Appologies all round.

Screwi said:
Appologies all round.
:)

you have to remeber this is a forum, we, as others reading do, can only judge by what we see as written. so you should write exactly what you mean, never assume some "knows what i mean"

OK mate - i'll express my opinions as if a seven year old child could understand :D

Point taken,

Anyway back to the grindstone.

Screwi said:
I didnt think I would have to nurse a fully qualified spark along, I took it for granted you would know I was talking about an earth fault

may i remind you that only a few of us here are qualified. people who dont know could easily be confused by your comment

andrew2022 said:
Screwi said:
I didnt think I would have to nurse a fully qualified spark along, I took it for granted you would know I was talking about an earth fault

may i remind you that only a few of us here are qualified. people who dont know could easily be confused by your comment

God We dont all need to jump on the band waggon!!

Ive already stated just that in my own post above if you read it.

And I have already appologised, so lets not drag this out all day/night.

Thx.

post locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back