Intermediate light switch - wiring gaff - help!!

d3

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have the following:- one light and 3 switches....as I have three doors into one large room. In my infinite wisdom I installed the wiring the following way.......picture 3 switches in a diagram side by side in a row...
the center switch has the main feed (1.5mm twin & earth), the other switches eitherside have 4 core cables....feeding to switch with the main feed. So all the cables end up at the centre switch. (doh :( ) Now my understanding is the circuit should start with the feed @ one end with the intermediate in the middle...... My question is.....with the wiring the way it is installed ... is it possible to get intermediate switching to work and comply with the latest wiring regs....phew. If it is possible I would appreciate a simple helpful sketch ..... hope someone can assist.
:?:
Richard Wilkinson

Sponsored Links
yes you can.... connect all the earths to the back boxes with fly leads to the switch plates if they require earthing.
connect the feed from your twin and earth to one of the wires on the three core in a connector block, this will be the common at the switch it goes to which will be a two way switch. the other two wires in that three core will be the strappers so the go in L1 and L2.

Do the same for the return on the twin & earth and the second 3 core & earth too. that leaves you with four wires at the center switch which will be wired into your intermediate switch, a pair or strappers in the top and a pair of strappers in the bottom.

although the picture helps in explaining intermediate switching it doesn't help the op in their situation, their cables are routed differently. Presumably the op has posted his querie because he cannot get the answer from the wiki, like all the other questions.

Sponsored Links
Hi all thanks for your help.........I have found this diagram
would this work ok????
145000_144474_23811_87261290_thumb.jpg
[/url][/img]

I think holmslaws picture is more relevent to your situation.

Due to the routes the cables take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back