electrics to summerhouse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i am running power to my summer house ( please correct me if i am doing anything wrong ) from a rcd plug from the garage to a double socket then to a 3amp spur to power a fan light and two wall lights.
I am running one cable from the spur to power the fan and an other cable to the light switch, then one cable out for the wall lights and one cable for the light on the fan if this is all correct can someone please tell me how do i connect my one cable in and two out from my double light switch.

many thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi Keefy.
Much more information is needed here to give you an opinion.

What cable sizes/types, installation methods spring to mind.

EX: Is this work being fed from a plugtop/extension lead ? Or have you just tapped into an existing socket ? Testing ? Certs ?

Hopefully you are aware of Part P etc.

Regards

Ed

Hi
i am running power to my summer house ( please correct me if i am doing anything wrong ) from a rcd plug from the garage to a double socket
So a temporary installation I would assume I suppose a summer house that is only erected in the summer as name suggests this would be OK but in the main name summer house means only used in the summer and to leave temporary electrics connected long term could cause problems. However what you are proposing is an extension lead so can't really see a problem as long as cable is where unlikely to get damaged.
then to a 3amp spur to power a fan light and two wall lights.
Again no real problem assuming cable where unlikely to get damaged but you don't say how connected I would assume as a temporary then plugged in? If so why do you need fused spur? If not plugged in it may be harder to put away each winter
I am running one cable from the spur to power the fan and an other cable to the light switch, then one cable out for the wall lights and one cable for the light on the fan if this is all correct can someone please tell me how do i connect my one cable in and two out from my double light switch.

many thanks
This seems an odd method. Normally one would take power to the light and fan then from light to switch and this would be easier to coil up and put away in winter.

The problem as I see it is if you fix anything in a permanent fashion then it all moves from being temporary to permanent and then all the Part P rules raise their ugly heads. Just a few clips nailed into to wall to keep cable out of harms way and the council Big Brother department needs to be told and their palms greased with £100+

The fact that it plugs in does not make it temporary. As it stands use a 4 way extension lead laid on kitchen work top no Part P. Put in a couple of screws and mount the 4 way socket on wall and put a few clips to hold cable out of harms way and LABC get a £100+ and it needs registering.

So if you don't mind breaking the law that's up to you but you asked. If I was doing the job I would have planned it before 2004 and would be using SWA cable and a fused connection unit to gland the SWA into even if that was powered direct from CU. As to RCD in my house everything has been on a RCD for years but if it wasn't then I would use a RCD FCU.

Sometimes one ends up with odd set up due to price my garden shed is supplied from a FCU which plugs into a 10ma RCD socket as any other type of 10ma RCD costs too much. And I don't want a fault in shed to take out the house RCD's.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back