2005 ford focus st CLUTCH problem --HELP--

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
While I waas driving today, literally out of nowhere i could not push the clutch down at all. In turn could not put into gear (because couldnt ingage clutch)

Anyone have any idea what might be happening here. I know it is a hydraulic clutch, could it be a busted line? I'm worried the whole clutch is gone? PLEASE HELP

Sponsored Links
If it's hydraulic clutch then likely to be a bust master or slave cylinder.

When it first happened yes, the pedal would not go down at all. But now after the car sat parked all night, there is no give at all. The pedal goes right to the floor. I know that its something hydraulic. There is no way that clutch is done. It feels that the pedal isnt connected to anything. Compared to when it first happen its the opposite now after sitting out all night... sTILL CANT DRIVE IT THOUGH!! Went from not being able to push the pedal down at all, to now its just a loose pedal. HELP

Sponsored Links
Its a very strange fault, I have never heard of a clutch pedal going solid, going to the floor is quite common and indicates either a loss of fluid or failure of one of the rubber seals. Can you see any fluid on the ground under the car?

ok just went to take a look at the car... no fluid under the car... but there is some type of fluid (hydrauliC FLUID?) leaking from the clutch pedal onto the floor mat. any IDEA?

It sounds to me that something has given way big time in the clutch master cylinder....this could explain the initial seizure of the pedal, followed by no hydraulic pressure at the pedal, together with the appearance of brake fluid.
New clutch master cylinder needed! (I think these take their fluid from the brake cylinder reservoir).
John :)

Thanks a lot John... I really appreciate your help. I was really hoping that its the clutch master cylinder, instead of something more serious or costly within the clutch system. But then again before this incident, my clutch has been working perfectly fine. no slipping, nothing. hopefully now this will be an easy fix

Do keep us informed, will you?
The fact that there is fluid inside the car means that it has got to be a master cylinder problem...much better than a slave one, as that means gearbox out!
Hoping its not a bank breaker.

Just ordered a new clutch master cylinder ... will be in on friday... Probably start on it saturday morning. Ill keep ya posted ;)

And if you do need to drive it anywhere without a clutch:

Put it in gear
Start it (in gear)
Accelerate then hold a steady speed
Pull it out of gear, keeping the accelerator where it is (engine revs high)
Hold gear lever against the next gear (gently)
Release the acelerator
As the engine revs die down, they will slow down the cogs in the gearbox that are attached to the engine side of the drive train. When the speeds of the cogs are matched with the speed of the cogs attached to the wheels side of the drive train, the car will slip into gear

The process for going down the box is the same, except you need to rev the engine higher (past the speed of sync for the new lower gear)

e.g. If your car will drive along at 30mph doing 2500rpm in 3rd and 1500rpm in 4th, and youre currently doing 30mph@ 2500rpm in 3rd, you pull it out of 3rd, hold it against 4th, then let the revs die, and it will change into 4th as the revs pass 1500 rpm. If you miss, rev up and try again. To go back to 3rd, into neutral, rev up to 3000, hold against 3rd and let the revs die; it'll slot in at around 2500rpm

I'd only recommend this as a get-home measure of course, as replacing knackered syncro clutches is pricier than a clutch but my mother had a boyfriend a few years ago who drove his car for several months like this to no significant detriment.. He'd gotten it down to such a fine art, it took her a few weeks to realise he was never moving his clutch foot to change gear

Hey guys, thanks for all your help. took a few hours but master cylinder is now replaced. Now the issue I am faced with is having to figure out how to bleed the damn thing. Does anyone know where the bleeder screw or valve can be found on this car. Off to work for the day. So I'll be trying to figure it out either tonight or tomorrow.

Hope you all have a good day

the car I drive - 2005 focus zx4 ST

I think the bleed valve is on the clutch slave cylinder, on the top of the gearbox......its getting to the thing thats the problem!
I would imagine the battery and its tray would have to be moved before you could get near. What a pain!

Yeah I figured it would be down there. Just looked around on a few other sites too and thats what they are suggesting also. I want my CAR BACK!!! Gonna see what I can do tonight when I'm done work, if not tomorrow.

Thanks again!

Please let us know how it goes, will you?
I've only had a similar problem with a Renault Megane - and the only way that thing would bleed was by gravity.
You don't give up, do you? :p

Sponsored Links
Back