how to mend cut in lead pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I stupidly hacksawed into what I thought was a disused lead pipe in our shed. The pipe sticks out vertically about 12 cm from the concrete floor. I made the cut about 5 or 6 cm from the floor. It looks like the pipe was capped with a sheet of lead. The cut is, of course, now spitting mains pressure water... Any ideas how I might I mend it? Be gentle - i'm a DIY novice!

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replying! Do you mean flatten the pipe over onto itself over the cut? Would I be risking making more holes? How would I solder it - never soldered before?

probably better to get someone in to fix it

has your local council/water board got a policy for free removal off lead pipe!!

Sponsored Links
Obviously you just nicked it until it spurted :idea: . whip an inner tube out of one of those bikes you never use ;) Wrap that round and secure with a jubilee clip - then get a leadlok and an end cap from a plumbers merchant @ your leisure

...disused lead pipe in our shed. It looks like the pipe was capped with a sheet of lead.

I would guess that your 'shed' is brick built and has a hole in the floor where the old wc once was...?
The disused lead pipe is likely to be the old redundant supply to an outside toilet. It may be easier to repair if you can find an internal pipe that supplies water to it, from the house, as this might have been replaced for copper internally.
It will also be what is known as a dead leg, and possibly holds stagnant water that could be contaminating your own wholesome water and best removed, not just capped again.
You could also possibly connect a lead-loc to it and use the supply as an outside tap.

Leadlok or a philmac universal connector. You will need to turn offthe supply in the street as you would need to cut through the pipe to fit either of these.

Be careful just bending and hammering.....if it fails you won't have enough straight pipe to fit connectors to and you will need to go digging

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back